State police dispatch negotiated with man during Griswold standoff

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

Griswold — State police said they responded Sunday to an intoxicated man who had threatened to kill himself and his family. The man had a shotgun and was in the basement of his Griswold home, police said.

Troopers, who responded to the incident at 6:46 p.m., were able to secure the perimeter of the residence while dispatch talked to the man on the phone and "was able to negotiate the male to come out of the residence without incident."

The man, Daniel Breton, 32, of 179 E. Main St., was taken to Troop E in Montville and charged with illegal sale/purchase of a large-capacity magazine, risk of injury to a child, interfering with an officer or resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, second-degree threatening and first-degree reckless endangerment.

He was issued a $100,000 cash/surety bond and was scheduled to be in Norwich Superior Court on Tuesday, police said.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments

Stories that may interest you

Street level dealer sentenced to probation in New London area drug trafficking case

A 29-year-old man who operated as a street-level dealer in a large scale heroin trafficking operation in New London County received a sentence of four years of probation last week in U.S. District Court.

Man headed to trial for robberies inside Groton Stop & Shop

John Henri Lamotte, a previously convicted bank robber, has been held in lieu of $200,000 since Groton Town Police arrested him in February 2018 and charged him with robberies that occurred in 2016 and 2017.

Three sentenced in Ledyard home invasion

According to court documents, Kristal Lis, 29, of Mystic, who had regularly provided paid sexual services to a 72-year-old man who lived on Smith Pond Way, set up and participated in the robbery of her customer.

New London police searching for driver who seriously injured pedestrian

Police said they're searching for a driver who struck and seriously injured a man near Shaw and Hamilton streets early Monday.