Support Local News.

At a moment of historic disruption and change with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the calls for social and racial justice and the upcoming local and national elections, there's never been more of a need for the kind of local, independent and unbiased journalism that The Day produces.
Please support our work by subscribing today.

Griswold man accused of assaulting a second woman while out on bond

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

The woman who posted Thomas Ibbison's bond last month and took him into her Griswold home, after he was charged with sexually assaulting another female he had lived with, fled her home wrapped in a towel early Saturday, telling police Ibbison assaulted her and held her down in a bathtub.

Ibbison, 32, is now being held in lieu of $1 million and is facing new charges of first-degree kidnapping, second-degree threatening and second-degree strangulation. His previous charges of sexual assault, second-degree strangulation, third-degree assault, second-degree threatening and disorderly conduct, stemming from a November 2018 incident in Lisbon, are pending in New London Superior Court, where he is due to appear on Thursday.

According to an arrest report written by state Trooper John K. Martin, the woman got out of an SUV, barefoot with her bare upper torso wrapped in a towel, when they arrived at a home in Griswold at 10:39 a.m. Saturday for a report that a woman had run away from a domestic incident.

She said Ibbison had prevented her from leaving but she sneaked out of the basement door. Troopers went into the home and found Ibbison in a first-floor basement with a dresser partially blocking the door. Ibbison refused to exit and asked the police if they had a search warrant but surrendered when told he was going to be shocked with a stun gun if he resisted, according to the report.

The alleged victim told police she had met Ibbison six months earlier and that she was pregnant with his child. She said she posted bond for him in his earlier case and he was wearing an ankle bracelet.

The woman said Ibbison had not been abiding by her rule that he was not to use drugs, had no job and was stealing money from her for drugs, according to the report. She said he became increasingly violent during arguments and that at 1:30 a.m. that day, she had awakened to find him going through her purse and she locked him out of the house after finding a white powder and a measuring spoon in the basement and seeing him on the back deck with another person.

She called 911, and police escorted her into the house, where she took her keys and fled to Ibbison's parents' home, according to the report. She returned to the home at 3:30 a.m., because Ibbison seemed calm, but said he grabbed her, took her purse, dragged her into the bathroom and said he was going to drown her. He told her he had taken 100 benzodiazepine pills and that they were both going to die that night.

The woman said Ibbison ripped off her shirt and bra, pinned her in the bathtub and put a sock in her mouth. Eventually he allowed her out of the tub and pushed her into the bedroom, she said, where he blocked the door and kicked her from the bed to the floor. She said when she had to use the bathroom several times, he followed her, pushed her back into the bedroom and struck her in the head repeatedly. She said she was able to escape after several hours, and that she wrapped herself in a towel, ran out of the home and flagged down a car for help.

The report indicated she had a raised bump on her forehead and a bruise on her left shoulder.

Hide Comments


Loading comments...
Hide Comments