Support Local News.

At a moment of historic disruption and change with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and the calls for social and racial justice, there's never been more of a need for the kind of local, independent and unbiased journalism that The Day produces.
Please support our work by subscribing today.

Police said standoff in Groton City 'peacefully resolved'

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

Groton — City police arrested a woman Friday morning after they said she barricaded herself with a gun inside a Morse Avenue residence for more than six hours.

Kristen Anderson, 49, of no certain address was charged with violation of protective order, first-degree trespass and breach of peace. Police said the investigation is ongoing and more charges are expected.

Groton City police Chief Michael Spellman said police received a call at 11:33 p.m. Thursday to report that a woman, later identified as Anderson, was in a Morse Avenue residence when a protective order prohibited her from being there.

Officers arrived at 78 Morse Ave. at 11:36 p.m. and, after receiving consent from the caller to enter the house, they encountered Anderson, who they said was brandishing an "apparent semiautomatic firearm."

Police were able to de-escalate the situation and safely retreat from the residence without any gunfire, Spellman said. They laid a protective perimeter around the home and called for assistance from the state police tactical unit and began discussions with a skilled negotiator.  

During the standoff, police closed Cutler Street and Morse Avenue to the public and asked residents in the area to "shelter in place" until they declared that it was safe to leave their homes.

"We were able to further de-escalate the situation to the point where the party exited the premises shortly after 6:30 a.m. and was placed into custody by Groton City police officers on site with the assistance of the state police tactical unit," Spellman said.

As a result of the standoff, the start of the school day at West Side Middle School and Marine Science Magnet High School was delayed by two hours.

"I want to thank Dr. (Michael) Graner and Dr. (Nicholas) Spera of both school systems for their tremendous professionalism in assisting us in meeting our mission and keeping our community safe," Spellman said.

After Anderson was taken into custody, police obtained a search and seizure warrant to enter the residence. They found the gun, which they said was a facsimile.

Anderson has several unrelated criminal cases pending, including charges of second-degree burglary, criminal impersonation and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

She was arraigned Friday in Superior Court in New London, where she was held on a $250,000 bond.

"I give great credit to the Connecticut State Police and everybody who worked with us," Spellman said. "Ultimately, we're in the business of people cooperating with the police, and we're very thankful to work in Groton City and in this region because people typically are very helpful to us in carrying out the mission of this agency."

Day intern William Canellakis contributed to this report.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments