Log In

Reset Password
  • MENU
    Police-Fire Reports
    Tuesday, November 28, 2023

    Henderson formally charged with murder in Stonington stabbing case

    Carlton Henderson appears Friday, Dec. 6, 2019, in New London Superior Court GA10. On Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2020, the 44-year-old Stonington resident officially was charged with murder in the fatal stabbing of his live-in partner during a domestic dispute at their Pawcatuck home on Nov. 30, 2019. (Sean D. Elliot/The Day)
    Buy Photo Reprints

    A New London state's attorney on Wednesday formally lodged a murder charge against Carlton Henderson, who is accused of fatally stabbing his live-in partner during a domestic dispute at their Pawcatuck home on Nov. 30, 2019.

    Brandia Irvin, 41, died six days later at Yale-New Haven Hospital. According to Stonington police, her 12-year-old son witnessed the attack and ran to a neighbor's house to report that the man he knew as "Chico" was killing his mother.

    Taken into custody on Dec. 5, Henderson, 43, initially was charged with attempted murder, first-degree assault, risk of injury to a minor and criminal attempt to commit assault on a police officer.

    When Henderson appeared Wednesday in the New London court where major crimes are tried, prosecutor Christa L. Baker substituted the murder charge for the attempted murder charge. Baker is prosecuting the case with Assistant State's Attorney Sarah E. Steere. Several members of his family and Irvin's family were in the gallery for his court appearance.  

    Henderson, who is being held in lieu of $1.5 million at the MacDougall-Walker Correctional Institution, is represented by attorney M. Fred DeCaprio from the public defender's office. He is due back in court on Feb. 26.

    He has not entered a plea yet, since he is deciding whether or not he will have a probable cause hearing, at which the state would have to prove it has enough evidence to prosecute him for murder, a crime that carries a sentence of up to 60 years.


    Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.