Police investigating 'untimely death' of Waterford man

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

Waterford — Police are investigating the "untimely death" of a man here Tuesday evening.

The 34-year-old man was found unresponsive by a family member in their 310 Boston Post Road home about 6:44 p.m., according to the Waterford Police Department.

The medical examiner's office is further investigating, but police do not believe the man was killed or that he died from COVID-19. According to Lt. Timothy Silva, there was no evidence of any violence at the scene, so police were not conducting a homicide investigation.

"Right now, we don't think it's murder by any stretch of the imagination," Silva said.

According to Lt. Silva, the police department is working with the medical examiner's office to determine what extra testing they will be doing to find out if the man had contracted coronavirus.

Preliminary reports from the medical examiner found that the man died from issues that were "medical but not viral," Silva said. The medical examiner still was going to test the man for COVID-19, police said.

Silva said this was the first untimely or unexpected death investigation the department had been called to since the coronavirus outbreak. Officers responding to the scene questioned family members, asking whether the deceased or anyone else had a fever or any other symptoms possibly related to the virus.

Officers wore gloves, masks and protective suits at the scene as a precaution.

"That's us practicing social distancing," Silva said. "If we have to go into an unknown home, we're going to keep our officers safe; we're doing the best we can."

No drug paraphernalia was found at the scene, he said.

One family member was led out of the home by officers to secure the scene. No one was taken into custody, police said.

"There's no threat to the community that we can determine, either by violence or by virus," Silva said.



Loading comments...
Hide Comments