Father and son displaced by kitchen fire in Groton
Groton — A father and son were displaced from their Groton City home by a fire in their kitchen Thursday night.
About 7:29 p.m., oil that was being heated on the stove sparked a fire in the kitchen of the single-family home at 94 George Ave. A 15-year-old boy who was home alone at the time escaped safely and no one was injured, according to City of Groton Fire Department Deputy Chief Edward Sargent.
The fire was contained to the kitchen but caused smoke and heat damage throughout the first floor. Firefighters had the fire under control in about 15 minutes, but the home was deemed uninhabitable, according to city fire Capt. Dan Tompkins.
The American Red Cross said Thursday night that it was assisting the family. According to the fire department, the two were tenants renting the home and had been relocated by their realty company. The owner of the home lives out of state, fire officials said.
The Electric Boat, submarine base and Poquonnock Bridge fire departments assisted at the scene, while the Noank Fire Department covered medical calls for the Groton City firefighters during the fire, Tompkins said.
Day Staff Writer Jacinta Meyers contributed to this report.
Stories that may interest you
The criminal trial of five former utility officials for their roles in planning lavish trips to the Kentucky Derby could be delayed until November.
Police charged a 27-year-old local man Friday with giving prescription narcotics to a 17-year-old girl who overdosed and required CPR and Narcan to restore her breathing.