Support Local News.

We've been with you throughout the pandemic, and now as vaccines become more widely available, we are reporting on how our local schools, businesses and communities are returning to a more "normal" future. There's never been more of a need for the kind of local, independent and unbiased journalism that The Day produces.
Please support our work by subscribing today.

Community raises over $20K following death of New London teen, no arrests made

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

No arrests have been made in the death of a teen in New London last week, but community members have raised more than $21,000 to help the boy's family.

As of Thursday morning, police had no updates on the investigation of the shooting that claimed the life of 17-year-old Ronde Ford in the area of Grand and Elm streets on Feb. 17.

Ford, a former New London High School football player and aspiring rapper, was identified by his family last week. His parents are James and Jamie Ford.

A GoFundMe for the family was started on Feb. 18, the day after the shooting, by a woman named Jennifer Fletcher. The campaign, at bit.ly/rondefordgfm, was intended to raise "whatever we can to lay this poor child to rest the right way," she wrote. More than 540 people had donated to the fundraiser, which had surpassed its $20,000 goal, raising more than $21,000 by Thursday morning.

Police said the shooting was a targeted attack and that Ford was struck multiple times.

On Feb. 18, New London Mayor Michael Passero and members of the New London police held a news conference to address the shooting. Passero said more information about the incident would be made available when the investigation was concluded.

During the conference, Capt. Brian Wright said police were confident the shooting was not a random act and that investigators had not ruled out any potential suspects, motives or gang involvement.

t.hartz@theday.com

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments

TRENDING

PODCASTS