Support Local News.

We are in the community, every day, covering the local news that matters to you. In 2022, we want to do more. We're planning an in-depth investigation into economic mobility in the region, starting with the availability of affordable housing. We can't do this project without financial support, and are asking for your help on Giving Tuesday.
Please support our work by donating today.

Passerby alerts officials to fire at New London restaurant

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

New London — A person who was walking down Bank Street early Wednesday morning alerted the fire department to smoke inside a downtown New London restaurant.

A fire sparked in the kitchen at Mambo Bar and Restaurant was reported by the good Samaritan, who walked over to the fire department headquarters about 5:30 a.m. to tell firefighters they'd seen smoke, according to New London Fire Department Chief Thomas Curcio.

Curcio said firefighters had to force entry into the basement, where they found a small fire contained to the stove.

The chief said he believes the fire was caused by an oven that was left on with food in it.

It was not clear if, or for how long, the restaurant would be closed.

t.hartz@theday.com

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments

TRENDING

PODCASTS