Support Local News.

We've been with you throughout the pandemic, and now as vaccines become more widely available, we are reporting on how our local schools, businesses and communities are returning to a more "normal" future. There's never been more of a need for the kind of local, independent and unbiased journalism that The Day produces.
Please support our work by subscribing today.

Red Sox-Twins game postponed following fatal police shooting

Minneapolis — Monday's game between the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins was postponed in the wake of a fatal police shooting near Minneapolis on Sunday afternoon.

With the opener of a four-game series between the two teams set to begin at 2:10 p.m. eastern time at Target Field on Monday, the game was suddenly postponed just moments before first pitch. Fans suddenly had to leave the ballpark, and the decision left the Red Sox in limbo in Minnesota.

On Sunday, Daunte Wright, a 20-year-old Black man, was killed by a Minnesota police officer during a traffic stop in Brooklyn Center, a suburb of Minneapolis, which sparked protests.

Monday's decision to postpone the game was made by the Twins. The Minnesota Timberwolves and Minnesota Wild also postponed their respective games that were scheduled for Monday night in Minnesota.

"Out of respect for the tragic events that occurred yesterday in Brooklyn Center, and following the additional details in this evolving situation, the Twins have decided it is in the best interest of our fans, staff, players and community to not play today's game," the Minnesota Twins said in a statement. "The decision was made by the Minnesota Twins after consultation with Major League Baseball, and local and state officials. Information regarding the rescheduling of today's game, and corresponding ticket details will be released in the near future.

"The Minnesota Twins organization extends its sympathies to the family of Daunte Wright."

Red Sox manager Alex Cora said he had thought about the possibility of a postponement on Sunday night as protests began, but it was business as usual Monday at Target Field until just before the game started, when a Red Sox clubhouse attendant told him the news. Twins manager Rocco Baldelli then emerged from his dugout to inform Cora, too.

The Red Sox gathered in their clubhouse shortly after for a meeting before leaving to go back to their hotel rooms at about 2 p.m. central time.

"I think first things first, my thoughts and prayers to the Wright family," Cora said. "Obviously a very tough situation, sad situation, especially in this area. It's been tough the last 12 months with everything that's been going on so from that end, my thoughts and prayers. ...

"The meeting was very simple. We don't have too many details as far as everything but it was one of those that everybody understood the decision and now we're in the hotel and waiting to hear from MLB and the Twins to see what's next as far as the series. We don't have too many details."

As of late Monday afternoon, Cora didn't know what was next. The Red Sox were staying in their hotel rooms outside the city as they awaited more updates. The status of Tuesday's game was up in the air not only because of the aftermath of the shooting but also because of snow in Minneapolis' forecast. Cora said he had no idea if there was a possibility that the series would be moved to Boston.

"We're in a waiting pattern," Cora said. "I know Chaim (Bloom) has been in touch with the Twins, with the front office and everybody that is involved with MLB so we just have to be patient and wait what they decide for tomorrow and the upcoming days."

Cora said the Red Sox had already met to map out certain scenarios with their pitching staff, but they should be OK.

The series between the Red Sox and Twins was scheduled through Thursday in Minnesota, with each of the games scheduled as day games as the murder trial for Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer charged in the death of George Floyd last May, takes place in the city this week.

"Our community has been through a lot," Twins president Dave St. Peter told reporters after Monday's postponement. "We have a trial taking place just blocks away from Target Field. Emotions across our community, emotions across our organization are raw. Based on the events of the last 24 hours and as information has started to come to light, playing a baseball game today felt a little less important. When you add a level of public safety to that, particularly the safety of our fans, our players, our staff, again we thought the decision we made today was the right call. History will maybe tell us otherwise. But today, this moment, we're pretty confident we're doing the right thing."


Loading comments...
Hide Comments
Stay up to date with The Day's breaking coronavirus coverage
Sign up to receive our daily coronavirus newsletter