Local roundup: CGA receiver Desta named NEWMAC Rookie of the Year
New London – Coast Guard Academy freshman wide receiver Broock Desta was named New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year on Friday and was one of five Bears to earn all-conference football honors.
Desta made 61 receptions for 752 yard and eight touchdowns. averaging 12.3 yards per-catch in nine games. He was also named to the All-NEWMAC second team along with a pair of seniors, defensive lineman Connor McGuire and offensive lineman Jake Monson.
Coast Guard also had a pair of first team selections in senior running back Spencer McMillion and junior defensive back Logan Morris. McMillion rushed for 1,175 yards on 230 carries and scored 16 touchdowns. He averaged 5.1 yards per-carry and 117.5 yards per-game despite missing most of two games with an injury. Morris finished with 67 tackles and three interceptions.
• Alfonzo Stokes scored 19 points at Mitchell College defeated Lehman 81-61 in the CGA/Mitchell Classic. The Mariners (3-1) will play St. Joseph’s (N.Y.) on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Coast Guard. New London’s Jalen Benson added 17 points and four steals for MItchell while Waterford’s Mikey Buscetto had 10 assists and Jacob Narvaez came off the bench to contribute 10 points and seven rebounds.
• Coast Guard won its opener in the CGA/Mitchell Classic with an easy 75-44 win over St. Joseph’s (N.Y.). The Bears will play Lehman in Saturday’s final game at 3 p.m. Bryce VanderWiere led Coast Guard with a double-double (12 points, 12 rebounds) and Declan Rooney came off the bench to score 12 points.
• Hargrave Military Academy defeated St. Thomas More 97-79 in the National Prep Championship Series in New Haven. Tyler Betsey scored 17 points to lead the Chancellors, who trailed 53-34 at the break, while Mirko Bramanti added 16 and Louis Semona and Abdur DeLeon had 10 apiece. T-More shot 55% from the floor, but were done in by 23 turnovers.
• Reilly Campbell had 16 points and 16 rebounds to lead unbeaten Trinity College (3-0) to a 52-44 win over Connecticut College. Jayce Rojik had 12 points for the Camels (1-2) while Catie Donadio added 10 and Rebecca Oberman-Levine had eight points and 11 rebounds.
• Goalies by Melanie Conca and Casey Chenser led Conn College to a 2-0 season-opening victory over Wesleyan in the New England Small College Athletic Conference.
• Boston University spotted UConn an early goal before rallying for a 2-1 victory over the Huskies in Hockey East. Christina Vote and Brooke Disher each scored a goal for the Terriers (5-8, 4-7) while Jada Habisch scored an unassisted goal in the first period for the Huskies (10-5-2, 6-5-2).
• Go Uemura scored two goals while Colin Cobb had three assists as Wesleyan defeated Conn College 3-0 in the season-opening NESCAC game for both schools.
H.S. girls’ swimming
• NFA finished 17th in the Class LL championships on Wednesday at West Hartford. The Wildcats had 65 points and Ridgefield won with 761. NFA’s Natalie Bezanson finished 22nd in the 200-yard individual medley in a time of 2:24.76.
NFA had three relays teams compete. The 200 medley relay team of Bezanson, Stephanie Herr, Dianna Alarcon and Mercedes Aleksjuka were 17th (2:17.98), the 200 freestyle team of Alarcon, Gianna Lennon, Willow Ludlow and Stepanie Wells were 17th (2:09.93) and the 400 freestyle team of Aleksjuka, Herr, Wells and Bezanson finished 14th (4:21.69).
H.S. girls’ soccer
• Williams School lost to Montrose School 5-0 on Wednesday in the quarterfinals of the New England Prep Schools Athletic Conference Class D tournament. Williams, the No. 7 seed, got 21 saves from Natalie Boissevain. The Blues finished the season at 7-6-3 and advanced to the Housatonic Valley Athletic League tournament final, losing 5-4 to Wooster in the final.