Local roundup: Saints, Whalers now part of CIAC state semifinal doubleheader in New Haven
New London and St. Bernard will now be part of a boys’ basketball state tournament semifinal doubleheader on Wednesday at Hillhouse High School’s Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven.
The fourth-seeded Whalers, whose CIAC Division III semifinal against No. 1 Bloomfield on Tuesday was postponed because of a winter storm, will play the second game of Wednesday’s doubleheader at 7:30 p.m.
The top-seeded Saints will face No. 5 Xavier in a Division II semifinal at 5:30 p.m.
Two other local teams will also play their semifinal games on Wednesday. No. 4 Griswold will play No. 1 Cromwell in a Division IV game at Waterford High School at 7 p.m., while No. 10 Lyman Memorial faces No. 6 Shepaug Valley in a Division V game at Maloney High in Meriden, also at 7.
All four winners will advance to championship weekend on Saturday and Sunday at Mohegan Sun Arena. Sixth-seeded New London has already secured a spot in the Class MM girls’ title game against No. 4 Mercy of Middletown.
The CIAC is expected to announced the days and times for all 10 state championship games after semifinal action is completed.
• UConn Avery Point swept a double header at CCBC Essex in Baltimore, winning the opener 14-0 and the second game 8-1. Keegan Daigle earned his second victory of the season in the first game, combining with Tyler Restivo to allow just one hit. Andrew Lozier and Sam Burtnick both homered for the Pointers. In the second game, Tiernan Powers went the distance while allowing just three hits and striking out eight. Zach Mascaro was 2-2 with a pair of RBI and Tyler Rice drove in three runs.
• Mitchell College rode a pair of strong pitching performances by Katelyn Lipsky and Emily Reynolds to win two games in Naples, Fla. Lipsky pitched a four-hitter and struck out five in the opener, a 7-2 win over Crown (Minn.), and Reynolds pitched a three-hitter to lift the Mariners (4-2) to a 2-1 win over Rutgers-Newark in the second game.
Jenna Bennett, Sarah Aviles and Reynolds had RBI singles to highlight a four-run second inning in the win over Crown, with Reynolds going 3-for-4 with a double and two RBI. The second game was tied 1-1 in the sixth when Hannah Lemke singled home the go-ahead run. Aviles was 3-for-3 for the Marienrs and Brooke Whitmarsh added two hits.
• Jon Olson scored 11 goals as Albertus Magnus rolled to a 26-1 win over Mitchell. Weston Schumacher, assisted by Montville’s Raphael Vogt, scored his six goal of the season for the Mariners (0-6) and New London’s Keeano Gonzalez had a team-best six ground balls.
• Aquinas (Mich.) defeated Conn College 6-3 in Orlando, Fla. Gavin Anderson won at No. 4 singles and Andy Feldman at No. 6 singles for the Camels, who also also picked up a doubles win from the No. 3 team of Walker Mulligan and James Serhant III.
• Conn College won five of six singles matches to defeat Mary Hardin-Baylor 6-3 in Orlando, Fla. Caitlin Cass (No. 1), Sana Bhat (No. 2) and NFA’s Anna Slopak (No. 5) won in straights for the Camels while Lily Kerachsky and Carolina Champa won tiebreakers. Kerachsky also teamed with Courtney Banks to win No. 4 doubles.
• Conn College junior David Murray was named to the D3hoops.com All-Region third team. Murray averaged 14.2 points and 7.6 rebounds per game for the Camels and became the first Conn player to receive honors in the 22 years the website has named its all-region team.