High school baseball/softball: Chavez’s bases-clearing double lifts the Saints
Montville — Ethan Chavez’s bases-clearing double in the third inning scored three runs and gave the St. Bernard School baseball team the lead for good during a 4-2 win Wednesday over Plainfield.
Ryan Ziegler (5-0) struck out six and was the winning pitcher. The Saints are 12-1.
In other games:
• Derrel Mitchell drove in three runs and pitched 1.1 innings of scoreless relief as New London defeated Norwich Free Academy 7-4. Isaiah Plaza had three hits for the Whalers (4-8). Ethan Heinsz was 2-for-3 with one RBI and Avery Guernsey scored twice for NFA (7-7).
• Winning pitcher Sean Garvin struck out eight as Griswold defeated Ellis Tech 8-3. Cory Smith and Jake Duthrie had two hits apiece for Griswold (6-7).
• Chris Lusignan pitched six innings and allowed three hits as Bacon Academy edged Waterford 5-3. Jacob Ambrose earned the save for Bacon (6-6). Anthony Jessuck hit a two-run single for Waterford (6-6).
• Santiago Rodriguez drove in three runs and Grady Lacourciere had three hits as Old Lyme outlasted Westbrook 11-9. Casey Hurtgen recorded the last six outs to earn the save for Old Lyme (11-3).
• Grace DuBrava hit a double and three-run home run with four RBI, leading East Lyme to a 6-3 victory over Woodstock Academy. Winning pitcher Abby Robinson added three hits and Avery Stadler doubled and scored two runs for the Vikings (8-4).
• Ava Majeski and Melanie Martin had five hits apiece as Waterford defeated Killingly 15-1. Anna Dziecinny homered twice for the Lancers (10-3) and Grace Muti had three hits and three runs scored.
• Emma Bayor struck out nine and Jamie Bucior had three hits and three RBI as Old Lyme defeated Old Saybrook 16-1 in the Shoreline Conference. Ava Roth and Olivia Kelly had two hits apiece for Old Lyme (10-1, 8-1).
• Lena-Maria Byers had four hits as Lyman Memorial outlasted Ledyard 13-12. The Bulldogs are 9-3. Layla Lasisomphone and Caylee Cliett had four hits apiece for Ledyard (4-8) while Maegan Miller and Faith Dalton had three hits apiece.
• Plainfield defeated St. Bernard 10-3. Helena Coury and Olivia Kane had two hits apiece for St. Bernard (7-4).
• Winning pitcher Caity Flynn struck out 15 as Norwich Tech defeated New London 20-11. Nyomi Barboza had two home runs, five RBI and scored three runs while Morgan Cook had four hits and five RBI for Norwich Tech (12-2). Gabriella Santiago-Cruz had two hits and scored three runs for New London (3-8).