Prosecutors: Connecticut man defrauded women he met on dating website
BRIDGEPORT — A Connecticut man has been found guilty to defrauding more than 50 people out of more than $2 million, including several women he met on a dating site.
A federal jury in Bridgeport on Tuesday found 66-year-old Thomas Connerton guilty of more than two dozen counts of fraud.
U.S. Attorney John Durham says the Stamford man tricked his victims into providing him funding for his Connecticut-based company, Safety Technologies, LLC.
Durham says several victims were lured into the scheme when they met Connerton on a popular dating website.
Officials say more than 50 people lost about $2.2 million.
A sentencing date hasn't been scheduled. The government is also seeking full restitution for the victim-investors and forfeiture of the two engagement rings that Connerton purchased with the fraudulent proceeds.
Stories that may interest you
Rhode Island officials have confirmed two more human cases of eastern equine encephalitis this season
Data from the Connecticut Coalition to End Homelessness shows nearly 50% of people in homeless shelters in Connecticut over the past three years were also incarcerated at some point
U.S. health officials say there were no new measles cases reported last week