Trump appoints Lamont to governors council
President Donald Trump has appointed Gov. Ned Lamont to serve on the Council of Governors, according to a late Thursday news release.
The council is a bipartisan group of 10 governors that provides coordination between states and the federal government on emerging threats, response to emergencies and arrangements between state and federal military forces, among other tasks. Federal officials who work with the group include the secretaries of Defense and Homeland Security, counterterrorism advisers, the Coast Guard commandant and the National Guard Bureau chief.
Lamont's appointment will be for two years, the governor said in the release.
"As governor of Connecticut and commander-in-chief of the Connecticut National Guard, I have a solemn responsibility to ensure that the men and women who work every day to keep us safe have the support and resources they need from their elected leaders," Lamont said in the release. "This appointment comes with great responsibility, and I look forward to working with my fellow governors and the president to address these critical issues."
Also appointed to the council Thursday were Gov. Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas and Gov. David Ige, who both will serve as the group's co-chairs; Gov. Doug Ducey of Arizona; Gov. J.B. Pritzker of Illinois; Gov. Tim Walz of Minnesota; Gov. Mike Parson of Missouri; Gov. Steve Bullock of Montana; Gov. Pete Ricketts of Nebraska and Gov. Mike DeWine of Ohio.
Lamont's predecessor, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, also served on the council and had been appointed a co-chair.
MORE STORIES FROM THE DAY
Several former athletic coaches and others accused of participating in the college admissions cheating and bribery scandal pleaded not guilty to racketeering conspiracy charges Monday.
Rhode Island's governor has signed a bill to allow mobile sports betting
A lawyer for a man suspected of killing a reputed New York mob boss says hate speech and right-wing conspiracy websites are to blame for recent changes in the man's behavior; however, Anthony Comello has pleaded not guilty
Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport adds 10 more names to its list of priests who have been credibly accused of sexual abuse
TOP 5 TRENDING