Bridgeport Diocese adds 10 names to list of priests accused of abuse
BRIDGEPORT (AP) — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport in Connecticut has added 10 more names to its list of priests who have been credibly accused of sexual abuse.
Bishop Frank Caggiano says in a letter to parishioners released Friday that eight of the priests listed have died, one is on permanent administrative leave and one is a Venezuelan priest who was at the diocese in 1991.
The additions bring the total number of credibly accused priests from the Bridgeport Diocese to 38.
The diocese had agreed this past week to pay $3.5 million to five men who said they were sexually abused as children by priests.
Caggiano said in an October report that the diocese has paid $52.5 million to settle 156 allegations of clergy sexual abuse.
Stories that may interest you
The Democratic governor hailed it as a plan that averts a big deficit without raising income tax rates, makes key investments in education, job growth and health care, and promotes long-term fiscal stability.
The University of Connecticut board of trustees on Wednesday unanimously approved a $1.33 billion budget for the university’s Storrs and satellite campuses for next year and a $1.13 billion budget for the Farmington-based health center.
The head of Massachusetts's motor-vehicle agency has stepped down amid criticism that her division should have previously revoked the license of the driver charged in a crash that killed seven motorcyclists in New Hampshire.
The estranged husband of a missing Connecticut mother of five says he loves and misses his children, who remain in his mother-in-law's custody while he faces criminal charges