Refund checks to be issued after error by electric suppliers
HARTFORD (AP) — Connecticut's attorney general says thousands of state residents will receive refund checks from third-party electric suppliers following systematic rate notice errors dating back to 2016.
Attorney General William Tong said Friday that former state Sen. Len Suzio, a Meriden Republican, notified the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority last year. His electric bills stated the next cycle rate was 7 cents per kilowatt hour but he was charged about 13 cents.
Tong's office intervened to ensure refunds for all impacted consumers.
Tong says the monthly overcharge was about $45 for an average residential customer.
Refund checks will be mailed this summer.
Tong says his office and the Office of Consumer Counsel cautioned warned about the potential for such errors in 2015.
He says electric rates are too high already and consumers cannot afford to overpay.
Stories that may interest you
A Connecticut police officer whose two high-powered guns were stolen from his car has been charged with reckless endangerment
Vineyard Wind's proposal focuses on transforming Bridgeport Harbor. The announcement is a blow to southeastern Connecticut, which stood to gain tens of millions of dollars if Ørsted-Eversource won the bid.
The hospitals will receive the state and federal funds between now and 2026 to resolve a lawsuit that could have cost the state as much as $4 billion, according to details released Thursday by Gov. Ned Lamont.
A new report from Connecticut's bipartisan state auditors shows a union charity co-mingled more than $115,000 in contributions intended to help first responders, educators and staff associated with the Sandy Hook school shooting