Whitey Bulger's family filing wrongful death claim
BOSTON (AP) — The family of slain Boston gangster James "Whitey" Bulger is filing a wrongful death claim against the federal government following his death in prison last year.
The Wall Street Journal reports the family is seeking $200 million in damages in the forthcoming claim. They say Bulger was "deliberately placed in harm's way" when he was transferred to a West Virginia prison and placed in the general inmate population hours before his death.
The 89-year-old died of blunt force injuries to the head. No charges have been filed, but officials have said two Massachusetts mobsters are suspects.
The federal Bureau of Prisons didn't respond to an email seeking comment on Friday. Bulger's lawyer also didn't respond.
Bulger was sentenced to life in prison for his role in 11 gangland killings. He'd also been an FBI informant.
Stories that may interest you
John J. Russotto, a 22-year veteran of the Division of Criminal Justice, has served as deputy chief state's attorney for personnel, finance and administration since 2004.
Several Christopher Columbus statues were vandalized with red paint and messages against the 15th century Italian navigator Monday when the U.S. holiday named for one of the first Europeans to reach the Americas was being celebrated
A judge has ruled that the multimillion dollar lawsuit against Connecticut's prison system and several employees brought by a former inmate who says she was sexually assaulted behind bars can go forward
Members of New England Pentecostal Ministries are finding comfort and fellowship at other churches while theirs remains closed after a shooting during a wedding