- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Waterford – A fire at an unoccupied Shore Road home was quickly extinguished Wednesday evening.
No injuries were reported after the 7:10 p.m. blaze at 18 Shore Road was put out, Goshen Fire Chief Don Chapman said. Three Waterford fire departments – Goshen, Oswegatchie and Cohanzie – responded to the fire, with trucks and fire personnel blocking off Shore Road at Great Neck Road.
Chapman said firefighters arriving at the scene reported the home's carport was "fully involved" with fire. Personnel had the blaze knocked down around 7:20 p.m., 10 minutes after the call, he said. Some fire damage extended into the one-story ranch home, Chapman said, and smoke damage was reported through the house. The residents would most likely be displaced for at least the night, Chapman said.
The entire carport was scorched black, and firefighters continued to look for hot spots at around 7:45 p.m. The power company was en route, Chapman said, because a power line in the home's yard came down during the fire.
The American Red Cross said Wednesday night that it is providing a family of six – two adults and four children – with emergency food, clothing and comfort kits that include personal care items such as toothbrushes and deodorant.