H.S. Roundup: Ledyard routs Bacon 49-20
Colchester - Ledyard High School exploded for 29 points in the third quarter, including three touchdowns by Jordan Kowalski, and the Colonels went on to beat the Bobcats 49-20 on Saturday in a nonleague football game.
Ledyard (2-0) held a slim 20-12 halftime when it took control. Kowalski, who finished with four touchdowns, scored on runs of 2 and 1 yards to extend the lead to 35-14 and completed the scoring by catching a 35-yard touchdown pass from Ty Ebdon.
Ebdon had a big day for the Colonels. He completed 11 of 19 passes for 310 yards and four touchdowns and rushed 11 times for 72 yards. Khary Childs was on the receiving end of 50 and 15 yard TDs for Ledyard and finished with 82 yards on three catches. River Thomas added 100 yards on three catches (he caught a 14-yard TD pass) and Kowalski had four receptions for 96 yards.
JoJo Schumaker led Ledyard's ground game with 155 yards on 24 carries. Nate Kozlowski threw a pair of touchdown passes to Ryan Duclos for Bacon (0-2).
• Claire Hurley scored the game's only goal on an assist from Genaya Loftis as Waterford defeated Lyman Memorial 1-0. Amber Heenan made two saves to record the shutout in goal for the Lancers (3-0-1).
• Connor Murphy and Brett Collins each scored twice as Waterford beat Lyman Memorial 6-0 in a nonleague game. Mike Castelpoggi and John Roberto also scored goals for Waterford (3-0). Austin Schwartz had two saves and an assist for Waterford, Brent Conderino had two assists and Max Wolfley and Tucker Wenc had an assist each.
Boys' cross country
• Williams School rode the 2-3 finish by Justin Shafner and Ben Lahm to place second at the Canterbury Invitational. Pomfret won the 13-school event. Shafner finished in 18:04 and Lahm in 18:11, their fastest times on the 5K course, while Brien Bradley was 10th (18:38), Adam Verhoeff was 21st (19:13) and Will Jarrett was 43rd (20:11).
Girls' cross country
• Maddie Lahm of Williams placed third at the Canterbury Invite. Lahm was timed in 20:54 over the 5K course while Sarah Billis was 56th (25:25), Rachel Goldstein 66th (26:28) and Christine Colette 92nd (31:21).
• Old Lyme lost to Haddam-Killingworth 3-0 in the Shoreline Conference on Friday. HK won 25-10, 25-19, 25-10. Maddy Grabowski had seven digs and two blocks for Old Lyme.
• Nicole Rodriguez had 19 service points and Kiera Sebastian 10 service points in Grasso Tech's 3-1 loss to Wolcott Tech on Friday. Game scores were 25-10, 21-25, 25-12 and 25-15. Grasso is 1-3.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES