- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
The town underwent a revaluation in 2012, causing last year's grand list to drop by 16 percent overall, reflecting the depressed real estate market in the region.
Still using those values, the new net grand list - the total after removing exempt properties - is $392.5 million for real estate, personal property and motor vehicles, a 2 percent increase over last year's $381.8 million total.
No one major addition to the grand list caused the increase, but an audit of personal property likely helped the town calculate those values better, First Selectman Robert Congdon said. Assessor Mildred Peringer said she is still reviewing the numbers to determine reasons for the increase.
The grand list increase means that 1 mill of taxes now would bring in an additional $10,291 in tax revenue with the current rate of 23.93 mills.
Preston's top 10 taxpayers and real estate assessments are:
1. Julia Tate Properties LLC (Hilton Garden Hotel): $9.8 million
2. Strawberry Park Properties LLC (campground): $3.02 million
3. Mashantucket Pequot Tribe: $2.8 million
4. Migliaccio, William and Margaret (campground): $1 million
5. Watson, Henry E.: $831,400
6. PAF Commercial Realty LLC (shopping center, Route 165): $794,500
7. Mashantucket Pequot Tribe: $793,400
8. Preston Business Park Inc. (excavation company, Route 2): $728,000
9. PAF Residential Realty LLC: $721,700
10. Bartha, Marcia A.: $692,000
- Claire Bessette