New London firefighters put out fire at same home for the second time in a month

New London — For the second time in less than a month, firefighters on Monday morning responded to 21 Steward St. for a reported blaze.

The fire at the Homeless Hospitality Center-owned property was called in about 6:45 a.m., according to Chief Henry Kydd. Within 15 minutes, the bulk of the flames had been knocked down. Around 7:15 a.m. firefighters deemed the blaze under control.

According to Kydd, the fire was confined to a second-floor kitchen, which was gutted. Kydd said there was also water damage to the second and first floors and smoke damage to the third.

The affected address is the left half of a multi-family home at 19-21 Steward St., which is a 2½-story structure.

Fire Marshal Vernon Skau said the blaze displaced more than five residents, one of whom was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor burns.

According to Skau, the injured resident was cooking breakfast Monday morning when he left the kitchen and became distracted. He returned to the kitchen upon hearing a smoke alarm, at which point he found the stovetop ablaze.

Skau said the resident sustained his injuries when he attempted to put out the fire himself.

Firefighters on Jan. 25 also extinguished flames at 21 Steward. Officials at the time called the blaze minor and said it was contained to a single bedroom. Kydd on Monday said it was a mattress fire.

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments