- 2016 Elections
- 2016 Lunch Debates
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Plainfield - Montville scored three runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to beat Moosup 4-3 in Friday night's American Legion baseball Zone VI game.
Moosup had won the June 22 game 3-1, but Montville's protest of the game was upheld and it was completed Friday. Montville (14-2) then beat Moosup 2-1 in the regularly-scheduled game.
Buddy Dewaine Jr. had a RBI double in the seventh and Brandon Haas won the first game with a two-run single. In the second game, Joey Brachas (4-1) pitched a four-hitter with three strikeouts and two walks and Max Hart was 3-for-3 with two triples.
In other games:
• Izzy Davila's pinch-hit single in the bottom of the ninth drove in Tristan Hurley and lifted New London toa 1-0 win over Niantic Thursday night. Hurley singled with one out and moved to third on Dave Hall's single. Shawn Nadeau and Hurley had two hits each. Jon Mewha allowed two hits over 7 2-3 innings but Al Jordan Johnson (3-0) got the win in relief for New London (13-4). Austin Toback doubled for Niantic (6-6).
• Saxon Herbert pitched a four-hitter to lead Waterford to a 7-0 win over Jewett City.
• Nolan Long hit a two-run homer to help lead Waterford to an 8-2 win over Tri-Town Thursday night. Pat Rogers pitched a five-hitter for the win and Dan Santos, Erik Hamler and Rogers each doubled and drove in a run for Waterford.
ValleyCats top Tigers
• Connecticut's Tyler Hanover went 4-for-5, but the Tigers lost to the Tri-City ValleyCats 5-2 in the Eastern League. Jeff McVaney had three hits and drove in a run and Patrick Smith had two hits for Connecticut (3-9).
• The Laconia Muskrats collected 17 hits en route to an 18-4 win over the Mystic Schooners in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game at Fitch. Laconia (8-9) scored six runs in the third and eight more in the fourth to take a 16-0 lead. Former Fitch standout Anthony Turgeon, UConn's Eric Yavarone and Ryan Lindemuth had two hits each for Mystic (2-14).
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Waterford used a 14-hit attack to beat Tri-County II 12-2. Matt Johnson had four hits and Trent Brennan had three hits for Waterford. Winning pitcher Trey Zaharek struck out 13 batters. Justin Starn had two hits for Tri-County II.
• Paul Martinez pitched a two-hitter to lead Esh's to a 2-0 win over the Pirates in an Eastern Connecticut Major League game. Martinez, who struck out eight, also doubled twice and scored both runs for Esh's (8-3).
District 6 Babe Ruth (13)
• Ledyard beat Groton 9-5 in the opening game of the tournament at Neff Field in Mystic. Nate Terry was the winning pitcher and Andres Laconico and Eric Brumfield had the only two hits for Ledyard. Andrew Santerre had two hits and Colton St. Louis drove in two runs for Groton.
District 10 LL (9-10)
• T.J. Horner had four hits, including a double and a triple, leading East Lyme to a 31-0 win over Groton in a losers' bracket game Thursday. Horne was also the winning pitcher with eight strikeouts. Sophie Dubreuil had four hits, Ethan Toback and Nathan Diaz (two doubles) had three hits each and Luke Leonard doubled twice for East Lyme.
• Thomas Creagan pitched five strong innings to help lead Lyme-Old Lyme to a 12-5 win over Pawcatuck in a losers' bracket game Thursday. Parker Stone pitched the last inning and had two hits, Tait Sawden (triple) and Kyle Signora had two hits each for Old Lyme. Sean Bessette had two doubles for Pawcatuck.
District 10 LL (9-10)
• Waterford South beat Lyme-Old Lyme 12-10 in a winners' bracket game. Caroline Petchark, Gina McKittrick and Ciana Chiappone combined for pitch a no-hitter for Waterford South. Devyn Concascia, Petchark and Chiappone had doubles for Waterford.