- 2016 Elections
- 2016 Lunch Debates
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Batavia, N.Y. - The Batavia Muckdogs scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning Wednesday night to rally for a 3-2 win over the Connecticut Tigers in a New York-Penn. League game.
Connecticut (5-12) took a 1-0 lead on Zach Kirksey's home run in the third inning and made it 2-0 in the fourth when Danry Vasquez scored on a sacrifcie fly by Patrick Smith.
Batavia (9-7) got a run in the seventh. In the ninth, Anthony Melchionda doubled home Patrick Wisdom to tie the score at 2-2 and Jacob Wilson singled home Melchionda with the game-winner.
Charlie Gillies started for the Tigers and pitched five scoreless innings, allowing two hits with eight strikeouts and two walks.
American Legion Zone VI
• Niantic scored two runs in the top of the sixth inning, breaking a 1-1 tie, and held on to beat Norwich 3-1. Mike Mann and Austin Toback had two hits each for Niantic and Joey Paparelli had two hits for Norwich.
•Ledyard-Pawcatuck lost to Danielson 12-5. Luke Foster doubled and had two singles, Jordan Kowalski tripled and Nate Storey had two hits for Ledyard-Pawcatuck.
• Barry Maily pitched a six-hitter to help lead Moosup to a 2-1 win over Waterford. Losing pitcher Saxon Herbert pitched a five-hitter, James Annello drove in a run and Mike DelosSantos doubled for Waterford (13-4). Connor Boisse drove in a run for Moosup (6-12).
• Tyler Contillo drove in eight runs in the first game of Tuesday night's doubleheader to help lead Montville to a sweep over Willimantic, 11-0 and 6-1. Contillo had a grand slam, a three-run double and an RBI single.
Corey Wilcox (3-0) pitched a three-hitter with seven strikeouts and one walk and Kenny Strecker had three hits in the opener while Tyler Guetens had two hits in the second game for Montville.
Junior Legion Zone VI
• Tom Pietruczuk pitched a six-hitter and scored three runs to lead Norwich to a 14-5 win over Niantic. Will Trask had three hits and scored three runs and Brandon Deveny and Pietruczuk scored three runs each for Norwich (4-6). Dean Beebe was 4-for-4 with runs scored to lead Niantic (5-8) to a 9-2 win over Norwich Tuesday.
Schooners fall to Gulls
• The Newport Gulls scored four runs in the top of the second inning and went on to beat the Mystic Schooners 8-2 at Fitch High School. Jake Romanski had two hits and Anthony Santomauro homered in the bottom of the second for Mystic (2-18).
• Beriah Smith and Ken Olszewski had three hits each, leading the Pirates to a 6-3 win over the ACD Rangers in an Eastern Connecticut Major League game Tuesday. Scott O'Neill had two hits, Smith drove in two runs and Connor Gleason and Olszewski each scored twice for the Pirates (6-5). Blake Biancamano scored twice for the Rangers (1-8).
District 6 Babe Ruth (15)
• New London beat Montville 6-3 in a losers' bracket game. Justin Duverge singled and doubled for New London and winning pitcher Tiki White struck out five. Josh Paterno doubled and Zach Rand had two singles for Montville. New London plays Groton today at 5:30 p.m., in the losers' bracket final at Washington Park in Groton. The winner plays unbeaten Waterford in the championship round Saturday at 11 a.m.
District 10 LL (11-12)
• Montville beat New London 10-6 in seven innings Tuesday. Seamus Barry homered and drove in five runs for Montville and winning pitcher Doug DelaCruz struck out eight batters in 4 1-3 innings.
District 10 LL (10-11)
• Jordan Lowell allowed five hits over five innings and struck out seven to earn the victory as Groton beat Colchester 2-0 Tuesday.
Derek Pelletier and Lowell each drove in runs in the first inning and Lowell had three hits, including two doubles, for Groton. Colchester's Aiden Guiti pitched a five-hitter with 12 strikeouts.
• Waterford South had 14 hits en route to a 12-2 win over Waterford North Tuesday in a four-inning game. Winning pitcher Nick Porazzi allowed two hits and struck out eight.