- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
A 31-year-old man accused of breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s home in New London in August and attacking the woman and her boyfriend in their bed pleaded not guilty today during his first appearance in the court where major crimes are heard.
Geoffrey Wood, 31, of 28 Spicer Ave., Groton, is free on $150,000 bond on charges of home invasion, first-degree burglary, second-degree assault, third-degree assault and violation of a protective order.
According to a police report, Wood entered the Squire Street home of his former girlfriend, with whom he has two children, on Aug. 13, entered the bedroom where she was sleeping with her current boyfriend and began beating the boyfriend.
The 28-year-old victim told police he was awakened shortly after 1 a.m. with a man on top of him, punching him repeatedly in the face. He said Wood struck him with a table leg or pipe and that during the struggle, Wood fell down a flight of stairs. He said Wood came back up the stairs and resumed the attack and punched the girlfriend in the face.
The man refused medical tretment for swelling on the face and eye and a cut on top of his head, according to the police report. The woman said she woke up to see Wood hitting her boyfriend with a table leg. She said her brother came running up the stairs and removed Wood from the home.
Wood had been arrested for another incident on July 23 and was under court order to have no contact with the woman. He has retained attorney Sebastian DeSantis and is due back in court on Nov. 19.