- Make A Difference
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Berlin - Rebecca McGlone had 14 points to lead the East Lyme High School girls' basketball team past East Hartford on Saturday, 61-49, to win the Berlin Holiday Tournament championship.
Jenna Schumacher scored 13 for East Lyme (5-2). It outscored the Hornets in the fourth quarter, 21-5.
Briana Gerena had 32 points for East Hartford (1-5) and Cariantairis Morales added eight points and 16 rebounds.
In other games:
• Margot Calmar scored 28 points and had 20 rebounds, earning most valuable player honors, as Stonington beat Westerly 67-48 in the championship game of the Westerly Holiday Tournament. Taty LaFrance-Boyce had 18 points, eight rebounds and six steals and Megan Sartor 11 points and seven assists for Stonington (4-2). LaFrance-Boyce also made the all-tournament team.
• Olivia DelGrosso scored a school-record 35 points with 11 steals as Ledyard beat East Catholic, 69-49, in the consolation game of the Mercy Christmas Tournament. DelGrosso, Christine Collela (2008) and Stacy Jewell (1994) had shared the record (33 points). Michelle Klinikowski scored 17 for Ledyard (3-1). The Eagles are 1-5.
• Mackenzie Brayman scored 11 points to help lead Wheeler to a 37-29 win over Parish Hill. Kylie Baker had 14 rebounds and four blocked shots, Jess Muller had nine rebounds and Brayman had four steals for Wheeler (2-4).
• Sophie Joel had 16 points to lead Hand past Montville, 55-41, in the Hand Holiday Tournament consolation game. Hand is 3-3. Jamie Hill scored 23 for the Indians and Cassidy Bundy added 10 points.
• Marcus Outlow scored 24 points as NFA beat Hall 68-43. Jon Morrison scored 11 and Ramel Williams had 10 points for NFA (3-0).
• New London lost to Stratford in the final of the Stratford Christmas Tournament, 62-54. Seth Lake and De'Vonta Robinson scored 10 points each and Collin Sawyer had nine points for New London (2-1). Sawyer and Robinson were both selected to the all-tournament team.
• Ledyard lost to Glastonbury in the consolation game of the Xavier Christmas Tournament, 51-39. DeAnte Bruton led Ledyard (2-2) with 13 points. Ledyard lost to Xavier in the first round Friday, 62-45. Darnay Gray scored 15 points for Ledyard in that game.
• Ricardo Steele scored 15 to lead Hyde past Waterford, 58-53, in the Valley Regional Holiday Battle consolation game. Cameron Sells had 13 points for Hyde (2-2). Donny Craig had 10 points, nine assists, eight rebounds and four steals for the Lancers (3-2). Also, Connor Lewis scored 17 and Kyle McComic had 12 points.
• Matt St. Germaine scored 17 as Old Lyme beat Montville 63-53 for its first win of the season. Josh Turkowski scored 16 for Old Lyme (1-2). Terrell Witherspoon had 12 points for the Indians (1-3) and Joel Greenwood scored 11.
• The Housatonic Regional/Northwestern Regional/Wamogo co-op scored the game's first three goals and went on to beat Fitch/East Lyme/Ledyard/Hale-Ray, 5-2. Tyler Hebert and Zach Jones scored for F/E/L/H (1-3) and Tyler Luke had 36 saves.
• Sheehan led 4-0 after two periods and went on to beat NFA/St/ Bernard/Bacon 5-3. Ryan Terracciano scored twice, Danny Terracciano had a goal and Sal Gozzo, Jimmy Notarfrancesco and Dan Hennessey had assists for NFA/St. Bernard (1-3). Anthony Zeng had 23 saves for NFA/St. Bernard.
• Five wins sparked Xavier to a 36-30 win over Ledyard in a match featuring two of the top five in the Norwich Bulletin Coaches Poll. No. 2 Xavier is 8-0. Heavyweight Kevin McDonald and 145-pounder Nick Lauer had pins for No. 5 Ledyard (3-1) and teammates Derek Schultz (113), Josh Rahal (132), Mike Graff (152) and Devon MarcAurele (170) won their matches by decision. Ledyard also beat Old Saybrook/Westbrook 72-10 and Ellis Tech 60-9. Daric Johnson (220), Rahal and Lauer each had pins against Old Saybrook at Ellis.
• Montville's Jake Caskey (138 pounds) and Thomas Wynosky (126) each won four matches, including three by pin, in a quad-meet. Montville (7-1) beat Griswold (49-21), Morgan (49-18), and Lyman Memorial (49-21), and lost to Bristol Eastern (37-31). Pat Bogan (170) and Joel Morth (115) both won four times for Montville.
• No. 9 Waterford opened with a 36-31 loss to No. 7 Farmington at the Law Duals, but rebounded with four straight wins. Waterford (5-1) beat East Lyme 57-6, Masuk 58-18, Bunnell 66-15 and Fitch 63-12. Justin Lindblom (145) had five pins, Brentt Smith (120) had four pins and Sam Lindblom (132), Spencer Sgandurra (160), Ben Pickowitz (170), Jake Keating (182) and Jimm Roscover (152) had three pins each for Waterford.
Fitch (2-4) also beat Gilbert (48-30) and Bunnell (36-30) and lost to Foran (51-24) and Masuk (36-35). Gabe Madrigal (138), Isaac Ervin (152) and Jonathan Fenty (95) had two pins each for Fitch.
• Fitch's Tyler Latham won the 55 high hurdles (7.86) and placed fourth in the long jump (20-8.5) at the Rhode Island Classic.
• The Connecticut Soccer Coaches Association released its all-state team. NFA senior forward Tim Paz made the Class LL team and East Lyme senior back Griffin Woods and Fitch senior midfielder Frank Norosky made the Class L team. Named to the Class M team were Montville senior back Gabe Diaz, Waterford senior midfielder Aaron Schwartz and Montville senior forward Nick Strecker and named to the Class S team were Wheeler junior midfielder T.J. Condon, Old Lyme junior midfielder Rowan Hallahan and St. Bernard senior midfielder Anthony Malchiodi. Sotiraq Vangjeli, a senior forward from the Williams School, made the Class M/S prep school team.
Schwartz, The Day's Player of the Year, was also named to the All-New England team.