Local roundup: CGA women rally past Wheaton 66-61
New London — Micaela Martinelli scored 14 of her team-high 19 points in the fourth quarter as Coast Guard Academy overcame a 12-point deficit after three quarters to beat Wheaton 66-61 in a New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference women’s basketball game on Tuesday night.
The Bears trailed 47-35 to start the final period when Martinelli started a 13-0 run with back-to-back 3-pointers.
Gillian Gerton had 16 points, 11 rebounds, four blocks and four steals for Coast Guard (6-5, 3-2) and Johanna Moolenaar added six rebounds.
Mikayla Pucci had 24 points and nine rebounds for the Lyons (6-8, 1-4).
In other games:
• Francesca Pinard had 14 points and 10 rebounds as Mitchell College held Bay Path to 27.1 percent from the floor in its 75-41 win in the New England Collegiate Conference. Allegra Jones scored 17 and Dejia Santana had 10 points and seven rebounds for Mitchell (3-8, 2-1). Also, Kate McCormack added seven assists, six rebounds and three steals.
• Domenico Santiago had 21 points, 13 rebounds and three steals as Mitchell beat Elms 80-71 in the NECC opener for both teams. Steffen Brunson scored 22 for Mitchell (5-7, 1-0) and Hasani Williams added 12 points and seven rebounds.
• Phil Leotsakos had 12 points and 13 rebounds to help Connnecticut College beat Fisher 79-70. Dan Draffan had 17 points, six rebounds and five assists for Conn (6-8) and David Labossiere added 19 points and four assists. Also, Isaiah Robinson had 12 points and six rebounds.
• Jack Mucciarone, Eric Gu, Jack Zhang and Eain Goolsbey all won individual events and teamed to win the 200-meter medley relay (2:08.53) as defending champion East Lyme opened its Eastern Connecticut Conference season with an 89-73 win over Waterford. Mucciarone won the 200 individual medley (2:29.89), Gu the 50 freestyle (29.40), Goolsbey the 400 freestyle (5:17.71) and Zhang the 100 freestyle (1:01.98) for the Vikings (2-2, 1-0). Jason Blain (100 butterfly, 1:30.46) was the lone individual winner for the Lancers (0-1, 0-1). Blain also teamed with Bryce Dorunda, Trey Brennan and Kody Dow to win the 200 freestyle (2:20.69).
• Jeff Ng won the 100 breaststroke and 200 individual medley as Norwich Free Academy beat New London 85-49 in the season opener for both ECC teams. Jay Lin won the 100 butterfly and 500 freestyle for NFA, which also got wins from Keith Johnson (50 freestyle) and Wyatt Gordan (100 freestyle). Mike McCormack won the 100 backstroke and SaraBeth Bouchard the 200 freestyle for the Whalers.
• Maddie Scavotto had 30 saves as Saint Anselm took just eight shots in its 1-0 win over Conn College. Amanda Conger scored the lone goal at 11:51 of the first period for the Hawks (11-1-1). Bailey Mertz had seven saves for the Camels (8-3-1).
• Led by Briana Dow's 174, Grasso Tech beat Wilcox Tech 849-734 in a Connecticut Technical Conference match. Adam Riffe had a 172, Alex Potchniak a 169, Kenny Smith a 168 and Seth Frates a 166 for Grasso (1-1, 1-0).
• Coast Guard continues to move up the Division III national rankings as its ranked 20th in this week’s National Wrestling Coaches Association poll. The Bears went 2-1 over the holiday break, including edging No. 13 Olivet (17-15). Senior Chris Sullivan (14-2) is ranked fifth nationally at 157 pounds, junior Nick Remke (14-5) is sixth at 165, and sophomore A.J. Aeberli (15-3) is ninth at 174.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES