H.S. roundup: Eagles hockey team improves to 4-0
New London — The Eastern Connecticut Eagles cooperative hockey team continued its best start in program history by defeating Housatonic/NW Regional/Wamogo 5-2 Wednesday at Connecticut College's Dayton Arena.
Trent Hughson, Kyle Jacobson, Ryan Huta and Will Cannella each had a goal an assist for the Eagles (4-0), while Kevin Close had two assists and Evan Tower scored a goal.
Eagles goalie Rylin Fowler also had a big game, coming up with 28 saves.
In other games:
• Sam New scored four goals as Staples rolled to a 9-2 win over the Redhawks cooperative hockey team. Steve Turchetta and Antonio Pisani scored goals for the Redhawks (1-3), while Sam Thompson and Andrew Bannon had assists and goalies Spencer Flynn (42) and Eric Kananowicz (4) combined for 46 saves.
• Fitch won the final two matches to rally for a 37-30 victory over Waterford. Trailing 30-27, Austin Robertson (145 pounds) earned a major decision to give the Falcons (2-1) a 31-30 lead and Keith McDonald (152) won by pin to clinch the victory. Jarod Kosman (120) and Dakota Grover (220) also had pins for Fitch, while Zach Letellier (182) won by technical fall. Tyler Radack (126), Jack Lange, Luther Wade (160) and Dylan Zito (285) had pins Waterford (1-2).
• Ledyard and Norwich Free Academy battled to a 39-39 tie in an ECC Division I match with the Colonels winning on the tiebreaking criteria (first points scored in each match). J'Mari Lowman (106), Joey Millbach (113), Dennis Charles (152), Andrew Allen (182) and Richard Mullaney (285) earned pins for Ledyard (3-3, 2-0), while Dominic Renfree (120), Jacob Foster (132), Caexar Bellamy (145), Theran Vanase (160), Mason McMahon (170) and Marc Thelusma (195) had pins for NFA (2-4, 0-1).
• Montville recorded eight pins in its Eastern Connecticut Conference Division III opener, a 76-6 victory over St. Bernard/Norwich Tech. Dereck Debbis (106 pounds), Jayden Colon (120), Mick Wynosky (126), Noah Caskey (132), Ezera Spreng (138), Ian Anderson (145), Zach Naverette (170) and Caleb Forehand (182) all won by fall for the Indians (5-1, 1-0). Roark Ryan (285) won by pin for St. Bernard (0-3, 0-2).
Boys' indoor track
• Three ECC athletes won individual titles during the Jack Long Invite at the Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven. NFA's Chris Weir captured the pole vault (13 feet, 6 inches), Ledyard's Collin Wiltshire won the triple jump (41 feet, 10.5 inches) and Montville's Greg Clark won the 200-meter dash (23.06 seconds).
In addition, Montville's Derek Strickland finished second in the 55 hurdles (8.34) and Ledyard was second in the 4x200 relay, while thirds went to NFA's Jahiem Spruill in the high jump (6-0), NFA's David Osagie in the 55 hurdles (8.63) and NFA's Adelino Daveiga in the shot put (42-6). Ledyard's Zak King added a fourth in the 3,200 (10:05.82) as did Montville's 4x200 relay (1:41.74).
Girls' indoor track
• Montville's Mady Whittaker had a big day at the Jack Long Invite, winning the 400 in 1:05.04 and finishing second in the 1,000 in 3:13.50. NFA's Kayla Park added a second in the 800 (2:34.61) and a fourth in the 1,000 (3:14.94), while Montville's Sheyenne Gillis was second in the triple jump (30-2), Waterford's Zora LaBonte was third in the 300 (45.40), Waterford's Sophia Podeszwa was third in the 55 hurdles (9.15) and fourth in the 300 (45.75), Montville's 4x200 relay was third in 1:57.41, Waterford's Ellie Lokken tied for fourth in the high jump (4-8), NFA's Catie Shannon was fourth in the 800 (2:38.73) and NFA's Angela Chong and Leah Mikkelson tied for fourth in the pole vault (8-0).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES