Local roundup: Waterford advances to Little League (11-12) state final
Rocky Hill — Waterford edged Shelton 7-6 on Sunday to advance to the championship round of the Connecticut Little League 11-12 year-old softball tournament at Elmridge Park.
Waterford is the only remaining team in the double-elimination tournament and will play the winner of Monday night's Shelton-Westport game on Tuesday at 6 p.m. A deciding game, if necessary, will be played Wednesday at 6 p.m.
The Connecticut champion will advance to the Eastern Regionals starting Saturday in Bristol.
Milena Walker had a two-run home run for the District 10 champs against Shelton while Maddie Burrows had a triple and an RBI, Lily Marelli and Anna Donahue had two hits apiece and Hendrix Kruszewski, Anna Bonelli, Jennie Sherwood, and Ava Roach each had one hit.
Burrows pitched five innings in relief, allowing only two hits and striking out eight.
State Section 3 (9-10) softball
• Salem/Bozrah will play for the Connecticut Section 3 Little League (9-10) championship on Monday against Haddam-Killingworth at 7 p.m. in Durham. H-K defeated Salem/Bozrah during the round-robin portion of the tournament. Monday's winner will advance to the state tournament final starting Tuesday night in Torrington.
State Legion baseball
• Collin Bakken pitched a four-hitter as Waterford advanced to the third round of the Connecticut American Legion tournament with a 6-1 win over Winsted. Waterford, the Zone 6 runnerup, will begin a best-of-three series at Zone 8 champion Tolland on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.
Bakken did not walk a batter and struck out eight for Waterford, which was led offensively by Justin Keating and Alex Petchark. Keating went 2-for-4 and drove in three runs while Petchark was 2-for-4 with an RBI and run scored.
• West Hartford eliminated Niantic 2-1 in the second round, scoring the game-winner on a walkoff sacrifice fly in the bottom of the eighth inning and spoiling a strong pitching performance by Ryan Kane. Kane pitched 7.1 innings, allowing two hits with 10 strikeouts and no earned runs. West Hartford scored its first run on passed ball in the third before Chris Malcom tied it in the fifth for Niantic when he hit into a fielder's choice with the bases-loaded scoring Cameron Dean-Frazier.
• Niantic won its opening game over Windsor Locks, 2-1, on Saturday. In that game, Malcom squeezed home the go-ahead run with a bunt in the sixth inning to break a 1-1 tie while Jon Balocca pitched 2.1 innings of relief to earn the win after Liam Milewski pitched 4.2 strong innings.
Schooners rout Vermont
• Chris Winkel (UConn) went 3-for-5 with five RBI, including a three-run homer, as the Mystic Schooners routed the Vermont Mountaineers 13-0 in the New England College Baseball League. Phil Capra (Wagner) added a two-run homer and Andruw Gazzola (Stony Brook) had a three-run triple for the Schooners (15-15) to help back the pitching of Ryan Smith (Princeton), who allowed only three hits over six shutout innings.
Tigers beat IronBirds
• Dylan Rosa had three hits, including a run-scoring double in the fifth inning, as the Connecticut Tigers edged the Aberdeen Ironbird 5-4 in the New York-Penn League. Will Savage, Reynaldo Rivera, and Junnell Ledezma added two hits apiece for the Tigers (12-11) to back starter Ryan Castellanos (2-2), who went a season-high 6.1 innings.
Sutera (11-12) tournament
• Robert Moynihan pitched a one-hitter and struck out 13 as Ledyard defeated Lyme/Old Lyme 6-0. Moynihan, Sam Almeida, Derek Kennedy and Jackson Poulton all had two hits apiece. Santiago Rodriguez struck out five for Lyme/Old Lyme.
• Austin Sevigny and Joseph Kalisz had RBI doubles as Salem/Bozrah defeated New London 9-5. Zion Fraser struck out seven for New London and Greg Santora and Randy Vidal had doubles.
• Drew Beckham allowed no hits over three innings as East Lyme defeated Groton 18-3. Gavin O'Brien, Owen Elmer, Chris Martin, Patrick Kelly, and Ethan Moore all had multiple hits for East Lyme. Anthony Medina and Isaiah Anderson had hits for Groton.
• Mystic defeated Waterford 13-9 as Ethan Mireault and Dylan Meyer hit home runs and Ryan Carney, Sean Porter and Charlie MacPherson had hit doubles. Jeffery Fabian had three hits, including a home run, Ayus Solana hit a home run and Nick Petrini had two hits for Waterford.
Sutera (9-10) tournament
• Jayden Carter and Jaxyn Beaudet had two hits apiece as Groton defeated Montville 16-5. Gabe Grossman was the winning pitcher for Groton and Jayden Burrell had two hits and Aidan Johnson hit a double for Montville.
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• East Lyme Black defeated East Lyme White 12-0 on Friday night as winning pitcher Blake Bragaw had pitched a two-hitter with 11 strikeouts and Brett Bragaw and Kyle McDonald each had multiple hit games. Jack Messina and Cully Moore had the hits for East Lyme White.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES