Local colleges: CGA, Conn College complete 4-0 volleyball weekends
New London — Coast Guard Academy Academy finished off a perfect 4-0 weekend by sweeping Worcester State 3-0 and Regis 3-0 at the CGA/Conn College volleyball tournament on Saturday.
Game scores were 25-15, 25-10, 25-15 against Worcester State and 25-23, 25-13, 28-26 against Regis.
The Bears are 6-2.
In the win over Worcester, freshman Angelou Dunton hit .522 with 13 kills, 13 digs and five aces while classmate Bridget Boyle added 15 digs and nine kills. In addition, Alexi Deane had seven kills, Makenna Martin and Veronica Hine combed for 21 assists and Michelle McGill had 11 digs.
Against Regis, Dunton had 11 kills, 11 digs and three aces while Dean had six kills, Hine 15 assists, Martin 10 assists, Heather Miller eight digs and Alex Kempf five aces.
Conn College also completed a 4-0 weekend by defeating Nichols College 25-22, 25-5, 25-17 and Western Connecticut 25-20, 25-22, 25-19. The Camels are off to their first 5-0 start since 2012 when they qualified for the NCAA Division III tournament.
In the win over Nichols, Katie Elisman had 22 assists, four digs and three aces while Sam Hunter had 15 kills, Belinda Mullally 13 digs and Katie Howley 10 digs.
Freshman Emma Hewlin had a .450 hitting percentage, 12 kills and six digs for Conn in the win over WCSU while Jenny Kellogg had eight kills, 18 digs and two blocks, and Grace McGee added 10 assists and six digs.
• Conn College scored a pair of first half goals and held on for a 2-1 win over Middlebury College in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. An own goal gave the Camels (2-0, 1-0) a 1-0 lead in the 33rd minute and Justin Miranda scored an unassisted goal in the 37th minute. Middlebury (1-1, 0-1), held a 14-11 edge in shots, but Conn goalie A.J. Marucci made 11 saves.
• Mitch Myrthil scored with 11 seconds left in overtime as Worcester State rallied to beat Mitchell College 4-3 in a nonleague game. Mitchell (0-2-1) led 3-1 on goals by Andrew Storton, Old Lyme's William Ferguson and New London's Jose Roman III.
• Kat Norton's goal 6:10 into sudden death lifted Conn College to 1-0 victory over Middlebury College in the NESCAC. Sara Kogelman assisted for the Camels (2-0, 1-0) while goalie Brianna Montalvo stopped seven shots. Middlebury is 1-1, 0-1.
• Killingly graduate Drew Johndrow scored two goals, rallying Mitchell College to a 2-1 overtime victory over Lyndon State College at Alumni Field. Johndrow's first game-winner of her career came just three minutes, 29 seconds into overtime. Lindsey Fairbank and Taylor Saja also recorded assists for the Mariners (1-1). Goalie Jordan Lohneiss made five saves.
Men's cross country
• Coast Guard's top five finishers all finished in the top 15 as the Bears placed second at the Trinity Invitational at Wickham Park in Manchester. Host Trinity won with 25 points and the Bears finished with 50. Sophomore Andre Gallant was Coast Guard's top finisher in sixth place (17:04.8), while Colton Atkinson was eighth (17:14.9), Jacob Panning was 11th (17:24.2), Alex Kearney was 12th (17:25.8) and Matthew Doyle was 13th (17:27.1). For Mitchell, David Still of New London was the top finisher in 49th (18:21.7).
Women's cross country
• Freshman Kaitlyn Mooney won individual honors in her Coast Guard debut and helped the Bears to a strong second-place finish behind Trinity Invitational at Wickham Park in Manchester. Host Trinity won the meet. Mooney crossed the line in 19:01.5 to beat the next closest runner by almost 46 seconds over 5K. Also scoring for the Bears were Anita Green in ninth (21:09.4), Rachel Burchill in 12th (21:20.2), Nina Ragle in 20th (21:41.7) and Maeve Roach in 23rd (21:44.4). For Mitchell, Kate McCormack was the top finisher in 85th (28:35.4).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA