Local roundup: East Lyme zeroing in on ECC swimming crown
East Lyme — Eain Goolsbey won two events and was on a pair of winning relay teams for the East Lyme High school swim team Tuesday, as the Vikings clinched at least a share of the Eastern Connecticut Conference title with a 103-77 win over Fitch/Stonington/Ledyard/Norwich Tech.
Goolsbey won the 200-yard freestyle (1:55.45) and the 500 freestyle (5:18.89) and teamed with Jack Mucciarone, Eric Gu, Bobby Hahn and Jack Zhang to win the relays. Ben Prouty and Zhang also won events for the Vikings (10-2, 8-0), who can clinch the championship outright with a win over Waterford on Friday.
Chase Simao and John Marcolina were double-winners and A.J. Murko won an event for Fitch (5-2, 5-2). Simao won the 200 IM (2:13.94) and 100 breaststroke (1:07.54) and Marcolina won the 50 freestyle (22.20) and 100 freestyle (49.68).
H.S. boys' basketball
• Waterford jumped out to a 24-7 lead and never looked back, beating Bacon Academy 86-48 in ECC Division II. Mikey Buscetto had 19 points and Liam Spellman and Trevor Yeomans each added 11 for Waterford (17-2, 10-0).
• Trevor Hutchins had 16 rebounds and three blocked shots as Ledyard beat New London 57-48 in an ECC Division I game. Jack Woodruff had eight assists and E.J. Ahlborn had eight rebounds for Ledyard (10-7, 4-4). New London is 13-6, 4-4.
• Lennox Deer had 13 points and seven rebounds as Stonington beat Killingly 60-53 in an ECC Division II game. Jacob Geary had nine points, eight blocked shots and seven rebounds and Zach Scott scored 14 for Stonington (10-9, 7-3).
• Clayton Carini and Ian Spracklin each scored 12 points in Wheeler's 67-41 loss to Lyman Memorial in ECC Division III action. Wheeler fell to 2-16, 0-10.
• Williams School lost to St. Thomas More's junior varsity team 65-51. Zain Alam scored 32 points and Grayson Guinan had 13 points for Williams (2-12).
• Montville lost to Woodstock Academy in an ECC Division II game, 72-41. John Domijan scored 16 points for Montville (3-15, 0-10).
• Aedan Using scored the go-ahead basket on a tip-in with 8 seconds left to lift Old Lyme past Old Saybrook 53-50 in the Shoreline Conference. The Wildcats led by 15 in the fourth quarter before losing the lead and then rallying for the win. Using had 27 points, nine rebounds and four blocks and Jacob Coverdale added 13 points for Old Lyme (12-5, 11-4).
H.S. girls' basketball
• Fitch snapped an 11-game losing streak with a 37-29 win over Windham. Francesca Foster scored 14 points and Charlotte Carney had 12 rebounds for Fitch (2-18).
• Kalli Campbell and Geovanna Tatigue scored 10 points apiece in Norwich Tech's 41-35 loss to Goodwin Tech. Norwich Tech is 3-15 overall.
• Jacee Hamelin scored 25 points in UConn Avery Point's 86-72 loss to Northern Essex Community College. Amadi White had 19 points and Tyrel Martinez added 10 for Avery Point.
• Mitchell College fell behind 22-1 and never recovered, falling to Dean College 51-36 in the New England Collegiate Conference. Jordan Lohneiss scored 10 points and Marissa Sweeney had eight points and eight rebounds for Mitchell (12-12, 11-4), which sits in third place with one regular-season game remaining.
• Evan Tower had a goal and an assist as the Eastern Connecticut Eagles beat the Redhawks 4-1 Monday night. Kyle Jacobson, Devan Jordan and Will Cannella had goals, Rylin Fowler made 14 saves and Jake Verbridge, Riley Jordan and Kevin Close had assists for the Eagles (10-2-2). Steven Turchetta scored and Ken Beguhl had an assist for the Redhawks (3-14).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES