Serving eastern Connecticut and beyond
The Day Publishing Company, established in 1881 by John A. Tibbits, publishes The Day, a daily newspaper covering a 20-town region in eastern Connecticut with a daily and Sunday readership of nearly 37,000, and theday.com, a website generating more than 2.4 million page views a month. In addition to the daily paper, it owns and operates The Times Community Newspapers and Shore Publishing and produces a portfolio of glossy magazines, newsprint special sections, town- Chamber- and event guides, and more.
The Times Community Newspapers are comprised of three zoned weeklies that are distributed via USPS to subscribers and non-subscribers of The Day in New London County, reaching a total circulation of 113,232.
- The Times (Lyme, East Lyme, Old Lyme, Niantic, Hadlyme, South Lyme, Old Saybrook area, Uncasville, Oakdale, Salem, Waterford, Quaker Hill, New London)
- The Mystic Times (Noank, Mystic, West Mystic, Old Mystic, Groton Long Point, Mumford Cove, Stonington, North Stonington, Pawcatuck, Westerly area, Groton)
- The Norwich Times (Baltic, Bozrah, Franklin, Jewett City, Norwich, Yantic, Taftville, Voluntown, Canterbury, Moosup, Oneco, Plainfield, Central Village, Gales Ferry, Preston, Ledyard)
The Shore Publishing newspapers are comprised of six zoned weeklies (publishing on Thursday) that are distributed via USPS along the coastline of Middlesex and New Haven Counties – reaching a total circulation of 54,406.
- The Source (Madison, Killingworth)
- Guilford Courier
- Harbor News (Clinton, Westbrook, Old Saybrook)
- Valley Courier (Essex, Ivoryton, Centerbrook, Chester, Deep River)
- The Sound (Branford, North Branford, Northford)
- The Courier (East Haven, North Haven)
Weekly Features | Glossy Magazines | Special Sections | Town, Chamber & Event Guides
Weekly Features in The Day
Night & Day – Weekly (Thursday) Arts & Entertainment section inserted in The Day
Welcome Home – Weekly (Friday) real estate section inserted in The Day
On the Shoreline- Quarterly magazine inserted in Shore Publishing titles that covers local, seasonal content with a calendar of events. Edits include Spring, Summer, Fall and Holidays on the Shoreline
Elan Magazine – Women’s lifestyle magazine featuring inspirational women in the community, parenting, recipes, trends in beauty, living well and more, mailed to 10,000 readers quarterly
Newsprint Special Sections
- Education Tab (inserts 2x/year)
- In Loving Memory (inserts 4x/year)
- More Than a Month (inserts 4x/year)
- Puzzle books (inserts 2x/year)
- Homefront (inserts 1x/year)
- Serving You Since (inserts 1x/year)
- High School Athlete of the Year (inserts 1x/year)
- 50+ Lifestyle, Wellness & Retirement (inserts 1x/year)
Town & Chamber Guides
- Montville Community Guide (inserts 2x/year)
- New London Parks & Recreation (inserts 2x/year)
- Norwich Parks & Recreation (inserts 2x/year)
- Waterford Parks & Recreation (inserts 2x/year)
- Go Westerly (inserts 1x/year)
- Old Saybrook Chamber Guide (inserts 1x/year)
- Mystic Chamber Directory (inserts 1x/year)
- Madison Chamber Guide (inserts 1x/year)
- East Haven Chamber Guide (inserts 1x/year)
- Connecticut River Valley Guide (inserts 1x/year)
- Clinton Chamber Guide (inserts 1x/year)
Local Event Guides
- Branford Festival Guide (inserts 1x/year)
- Potato & Corn Festival Guide (inserts 1x/year)
- East haven Fall Festival Guide (inserts 1x/year)
- Guilford Fair Guide (inserts 1x/year)
theday.com | zip06.com
When users visit theday.com and zip06.com they know they can find the latest, breaking local headlines as well as our daily news coverage – columnists, editorials, news, business, high school and college sports, the arts, food & dining, puzzles and games…and more.
In addition, they can enjoy multimedia features including expanded photo galleries, video and video interviews, podcasts more.
- 2,473,419 average pageviews per month
- 537,593 visitors per month
- 531,107 unique visitors per month
- 2:43 – average time spent on theday.com
- 144,832 average pageviews per month
- 75,122 visitors per month
- 0:55 – average time spent on theday.com
The Day was named Daily Newspaper of the Year by the New England Newspaper Association most recently in 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017. The Day also has been recognized by the Connecticut Society of Professional Journalists, New England Associated Press News Executives Association and the New England Better Newspaper Contest. In addition, The Day has been honored by: the American Society of Newspaper Editors as a recipient of its Example of Excellence in Small Newspapers; the Columbia Journalism Review as one of the top 100 newspapers in the country; and USA Today founder Al Neuharth as one of the top 10 newspapers in the country with a circulation less than 100,000, and twice won the Horace Greeley Award for “courage and outstanding effectiveness in serving the public.”
The Day (and its properties) is owned by a split-interest trust, which operates the company and supports the Bodenwein Public Benevolent Foundation. Theodore Bodenwein, the publisher of The Day from 1891 to 1939, created The Day Trust in his will and set explicit instructions about how he wanted the newspaper to operate after his death. After his last heir died, all the earnings would be distributed to the communities in The Day’s circulation area.
This unique arrangement ensures that the newspaper will remain independent and that profits from the newspaper will be distributed to non-profit organizations that help needy children, families and individuals and that support the arts. Since its inception, the foundation has distributed more than $12 million.