East Lyme boys rout NFA 15-5 in ECC lacrosse final

New London - East Lyme drained any drama right out of the Eastern Connecticut Conference boys' lacrosse championship on Friday.

Playing an efficient, fast-pace brand of lacrosse, the top-seeded and defending champion Vikings went on a scoring spree in the second quarter, firing in seven goals to build an 8-2 halftime cushion.

They never looked back, beating No. 3 Norwich Free Academy 15-5 at New London High School.

"I'm just very proud of the guys and their effort," East Lyme coach Gary Wight said.

Senior Chad Berry and junior Mitchell Andres provided the firepower, scoring six goals apiece. Berry earned the James Courtney Award for the game's most outstanding player.

"We expect to win games like these," Berry said. "We come as the No. 1 seed with a great record.

"Anything can happen. They could have won. But we did win and that's what we came here to do. Now, going into states we have the wind at our backs, so hopefully we make a good run."

The winds of momentum didn't start blowing in East Lyme's favor until the second quarter. Senior Mac Brodaski scored the only goal in the first quarter for a 1-0 lead.

Both sides came out playing a physical style, leading to several penalties.

Andres jump-started East Lyme's second quarter outburst with a transition goal at the 10:28 mark. Then, with a man advantage, Berry was credited with a goal on a fluke play, as an NFA defender mistakenly knocked the ball into his own net.

NFA senior Nate Wilson scored from close range to cut the gap to 3-1. By then, the Vikings had found their offensive rhythm. Andres scored and Berry fired in consecutive goals - all in 58 seconds - to increase the lead to 6-1.

"We really came out firing," Berry said. "The first quarter was a little slow. We definitely picked it up in the second quarter."

Leading by six at half, East Lyme sent a quick message to open the third quarter, needing only eight seconds to score. Senior Liam Williams won the faceoff and fed Berry, who found Andres for his fourth goal.

The Vikings maintained their edge right to the finish.

"We shut down their weapons today and we put the ball in the back of the net," Wight said. "When we start clicking, we've got a lot of weapons and that's a good thing. ... We've got a very unselfish team."

It was the third win over NFA (14-4) this season for East Lyme (15-3), which won a tight game with the Wildcats the last time they met, 11-10 in overtime.

"They took advantage of some opportunities and did a great job," NFA coach Kyle Legnos said of the title game. "They're a heck of a team."

Wilson and Steven Makowicki each finished with two goals for the Wildcats.



Loading comments...
Hide Comments