Napier, Boatright still mulling future

Storrs UConn's Shabazz Napier is still undecided about his basketball future.

The junior guard needs more time to think about whether he'll return next season or enter the 2013 NBA Draft.

"I'm not going to figure that out for a few more weeks, probably (April) 25th or 26th," Napier said Tuesday. "I will continue to talk to my family.

"I'm just weighing my pros and cons and my options, and figuring out what's best for my family and what's best for me. I knew growing up that one day hopefully, with God's blessings, I will be able to provide for my family, that's the only thing that matters so much to me."

According to several mock drafts, Napier - UConn's leading scorer last year - isn't projected to be taken in either round.

His injured right foot is still healing. He no longer has to wear a protective boot.

"My x-rays came back and my fracture closed up," Napier said. "I've been working out, so I'm not worried about that too much. I feel 100 percent."

Backcourt partner Ryan Boatright, a sophomore, also has yet to decide his plans for next season. Odds favor both players returning.

"They're still thinking things over," coach Kevin Ollie said. "It's a fluid situation. I think they're going to be hopefully back. I'm going to go forward like they're coming back. But if they decide to put their names in the draft, we're going to go forward and try to get them in the best shape as possible."

Ollie on Wolf, Olander

Ollie talked about the status of Tyler Olander and Enosch Wolf, two juniors involved with off-the-court problems in recent months.

Olander, a starting forward, was arrested and charged with trespassing on March 21 while on spring break in Panama City Beach, Fla.

"Unfortunately, he put himself in a bad situation and I think he's learning from it," Ollie said. "I think he's grown and he's going to be a better person from it."

Olander also is recovering from a fractured left foot that forced him to miss the season finale.

"He's rehabbing great." Ollie said. "He's still on crutches. I believe he's going to have the boot on for another week or two. But I think it is healing up great."

Wolf, a reserve center, missed the last eight games after being suspended indefinitely following his arrest on Feb. 11. He was charged with disorderly conduct, third degree burglary and first degree criminal trespass. He's scheduled to appear in Rockville Superior Court on April 24.

He's receiving court-ordered treatment and counseling.

"He's getting treatment for his problems that he's dealing with and he's been doing an exceptional job getting his studies done and his GPA up," Ollie said. "We're all just monitoring his program - the president's office, (the office of) community standards and the AD - so it's just not my decision."

Ollie added that a decision on Wolf's future will likely come at the end of the semester.

Napier reacts to bombing

Napier's family lives about 10 minutes from the finish line of the Boston Marathon, where two bombings exploded Monday. He's from Roxbury and attended Charlestown High School.

"It hit home because it was at where I live," Napier said. "I just pray for those family members and men and women and children who were in that chaos. It's just sad. I'm thankful none of my family members were a part of it."


Loading comments...
Hide Comments