Police release details of Friday night restaurant disturbance, vehicle pursuit

Jeffrey Evans
Jeffrey Evans

New London — Police arrested a man on numerous charges Friday in connection with an incident at Mr. G's Restaurant that night that led to a police vehicle chase through the city, ending at Waterfront Park.

Jeffrey Evans, 38, whose address was not immediately available, was charged with third-degree larceny, second-degree criminal mischief, second-degree threatening, third-degree assault, violation of a protective order, possession of drug paraphernalia, engaging an officer in pursuit, evading responsibility, reckless driving, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and two counts of second-degree breach of peace.

His bond and court arraignment date were not available Saturday.

Police said officers responded to a disturbance at Mr. G's Restaurant at 452 Williams St. and learned that Evans had allegedly assaulted a woman who has a protective order against him.

During the assault, police were told Evans suggested and made physical motions that made it appear that he had a firearm and was threatening to use it. Numerous patrons scrambled for shelter under tables.

Evans allegedly chased the woman around the restaurant, knocking over tables and breaking items. At one point, police said Evans threw a chair at the female, missed and struck a restaurant patron, causing a minor injury to his arm.

An employee intervened and removed Evans from the establishment, police said. After exiting the restaurant, Evans stole a running vehicle from a woman who was making a delivery. A short time later, Evans and the stolen vehicle were observed by an officer at the Ravi Mart at 268 Bank St.

When officers tried to stop the vehicle, Evans led them on a chase. The pursuit continued along numerous downtown streets, and at one point Evans was operating the wrong way on the one-way Eugene O'Neill Drive.

Police said when Evans attempted to turn onto Gov. Winthrop Boulevard, he struck an occupied, unmarked police vehicle that was stopped at the red light. Evans continued eastbound on Gov. Winthrop Boulevard and down to Ferry Street.

Evans then continued through the parking lot of the Cross Sound Ferry, across City Pier, down the Waterfront Park and struck a large cement block near the railroad crossing at the Bank Street Connector, where he was arrested without incident. No injuries were reported as a result of the motor vehicle pursuit.

Evans was arrested twice before this month in New London. On Jan. 16, he was charged with driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol and failure to drive right. On Jan. 8, he was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact New London police at (860) 447-5269.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments