Community Action Agencies taking energy assistance applications

While the state's feeling the brunt of a heat wave, the Connecticut Community Action Agency Network announced Wednesday that it recently started taking applications from residents who struggle to pay utility bills and need home heating assistance in 2018-19.

Community Action Agencies administer the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program locally in all the state's 169 cities and towns. The program is part of the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

In southeastern Connecticut, applicants should contact Thames Valley Council for Community Action at 401 W. Thames St., Norwich or by calling (860) 889-1365, or 83 Huntington St., New London, (860) 444-0006.

Homeowners and renters can apply no matter the type of heating — wood, electric, oil, kerosene or natural gas.

CAA will take applications until May 1, 2019, unless the household is utility heated and has a shut-off notice for its primary source of heat; in that case, the deadline is May 15, 2019.

TVCCA partners with several senior centers and town halls throughout New London County, so residents can start the application process closer to home, if necessary. Call your local town clerk or senior center to see if they can help administer your application.

TVCCA said earlier this year that 98 percent of fuel companies in New London County participate in state heating aid program.

Applications take about 20 minutes to fill out and require some paperwork, including pay stubs and other proof of income or unemployment benefits over the last month; recent bank statements; proof of rent, lease or mortgage; most recent utility bill; and the name of a vendor if the resident heats with a deliverable fuel.

For more information, visit or


Loading comments...
Hide Comments