Local roundup: Woodstock rallies for 3-2 volleyball win over Waterford
Waterford — Reigning Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I tournament champion Woodstock Academy rallied for a 3-2 victory over Waterford in a non-division matchup of two of the conference's top programs.
The Centaurs (2-0) won by game scores of 25-18, 22-25, 24-26, 25-15 and 17-15.
Gretchen Dusza had 52 assists to lead the Lancers (1-1) while Ryleigh Gonyo had 16 kills and 17 digs and Jenny Keth added 15 digs.
In other matches:
• Montville improved to 2-0 with a 25-19, 25-9 and 25-10 win over Wheeler. Abby Diamantini had 14 digs for the Indians while Mackenzie Ullrich added 10 assists and five aces, Ashley Rewers had four aces, four kills and five digs and Haley Kerwin had three kills, four aces and five kills. Sarah Spracklin had four kills and three aces for the Lions (0-2) and Savannah Galucci added four assists.
• Sydney Iannantuono had 12 kills and eight digs to highlight East Lyme's 3-0 win over Bacon Academy. Katie Solinsky added six kills for the Vikings (2-1) while Sophie Dubreuil had eight digs and three aces.
• Samantha Falco had eight kills and a block to lead Griswold to a 25-15, 25-17 and 25-12 win over New London. The Whalers, in their season debut, were led by Marissa Parker with four kills and four blocks while Caylee Parker added two kills and two blocks and Wennonah Amar had nine assists.
• Norwich Free Academy defeated Ledyard 25-16, 25-17 and 25-12 in the season opener for both programs.
• Erin Blake had 13 service points, three digs and one kill during Grasso Tech's 3-0 loss to Classical. Game scores were 25-23, 25-15 and 25-19. Samarie Delgado added six digs, four kills and three blocks for the Eagles while Michelle Warren had six digs, three kills and two service points and Cassie Beaumont had five service points and four assists.
H.S. field hockey
• Caroline Real scored a pair of goals as East Lyme opened its season with a 3-2 overtime victory over reigning Class S champion North Branford in a non-conference game. Kristen Healy also scored for the Vikings while Lilly Moffett, Katie Durkee and Julia Bates had assists.
• Montville rode the offensive production of Tyler Velazquez and Julian Valdes to a 4-2 season-opening win over Wheeler. Velazquez and Valdes each had two goals and two assists for the Indians, who held a 20-8 shots edge, but didn't get some breathing room until Velazquez scored in the 57th minute. That goal came just three minutes after Scott Pion had pulled the Lions to within 3-2. Ian Spracklin also scored for Wheeler, which received eight saves from goalie Bowen Baker. Keaton Sulman made four saves for Montville.
• First-half goals by Billy Niles and Shane Sutton lifted St. Bernard to a 2-1 season-opening win over Griswold. Goalie Martin Arvidson made 15 saves for the Saints.
• Connecticut College scored four goals in the first half and rolled to a 5-1 win over Johnson & Wales. Kat Norton scored a pair of goals for the Colonels while Kelly Brigham, Tori Kretzmer and Alex Baltazar each added a goal.
• Mitchell College freshman Sam Gaboury of Montville was named New England Collegiate Conference Rookie of the Week in golf. Gaboury, The Day's All-Area Player of the Year during his senior season at Montville, made his collegiate debut by carding a round of 81 and leading the Mariners to a runner-up finish at the Mitchell Invite I last week. He finished tied for seventh.
• Coast Guard Academy sophomore Kaitlyn Mooney was named the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference Women's Cross Country Athlete of the Week after winning the Purchase Invitational last Saturday. Mooney won the race in 23:39.66 for her eighth consecutive top five finish to start her career at the Academy. It marked fifth time in her career she has been named NEWMAC Women's Cross Country Athlete of the Week.