H.S. cross country roundup: NFA girls win a pair of close ones
Montville — NFA picked up a pair of wins in a tight Eastern Connecticut Conference girls' cross country tri-meet on Wednesday, beating St. Bernard 27-31 and Montville 28-28 on a sixth-place tiebreaker.
Maddy Whittaker of Montville won the race with a time of 20:22, leading the Indians to a 27-28 win over St. Bernard in an ECC Division III meet. St. Bernard (2-2, 0-1) took the next two spots with Brigid Kunka (20:28) and Serena Britner (21:38) followed by Eve Buckridge of NFA (3-0) with a time of 21:40. Maddie Gould of Montville (1-1, 1-0) was fifth in 21:55.
In other meets:
• Stonington swept a quad-meet, beating Putnam, New London and Killingly by scores of 15-50. Stonington (4-1, 2-0 ECC Div. II) took the top 10 spots, with Maddie Hamm winning in 22:30. The top five also included Lily Anderson (22:39), Lindsey Orr (22:44), Caroline Morehouse (23:01) and Mary Gray (23:16).
• Stonington picked up three wins beating New London 24-35, Putnam 15-50 and Killingly 19-40 in an ECC Division II meet. New London beat Killingly 28-29 and Putnam 15-50 in an ECC Division IV meet. Stonington freshman Nathan Gonzalez won the race in a time of 17:52. New London (3-2, 2-0) took second with Rashawn Wright (18:14) and third with John Mateo (18:19). Andrew Connelly of Stonington (4-2, 1-1) was fourth in 19:05.
• NFA earned wins over St. Bernard (15-50) and Montville (20-43) by taking eight of the top 10 spots and Montville beat St. Bernard 24-31 in an ECC Division III meet. Rishi Iyer of Montville (1-1, 1-0) won the race with a time of 18:10. He was followed by Aidan Brown (18:23), Digby Ludlow (18:23), Dylan McGuire (18:40) and Aidan Gallagher (18:46) of NFA (4-0). Sam Davis was the top finisher for St. Bernard (2-2, 0-1), coming in 10th in 19:13.
• Fitch won twice, beating Lyman Memorial 21-34 and Windham 15-50. Ryan Poe of Fitch (3-1) won the race in a time of 17:58 and his twin brother Ian Poe was second at 18:00.
• Bacon Academy beat Ledyard 20-35 in an ECC Division II meet. Bacon also beat Wheeler 17-45 and Ledyard beat Wheeler 18-33. Bacon took the top four spots, with Andrew Janus winning the race in a time of 17:22. Simon Reichert of Ledyard (3-1, 1-1) was fifth in 18:42 and Michael Carroll was the top finisher for Wheeler (0-4), coming in eighth (19:11).