H.S. cross country roundup: NFA girls win a pair of close ones
Montville — NFA picked up a pair of wins in a tight Eastern Connecticut Conference girls' cross country tri-meet on Wednesday, beating St. Bernard 27-31 and Montville 28-28 on a sixth-place tiebreaker.
Maddy Whittaker of Montville won the race with a time of 20:22, leading the Indians to a 27-28 win over St. Bernard in an ECC Division III meet. St. Bernard (2-2, 0-1) took the next two spots with Brigid Kunka (20:28) and Serena Britner (21:38) followed by Eve Buckridge of NFA (3-0) with a time of 21:40. Maddie Gould of Montville (1-1, 1-0) was fifth in 21:55.
In other meets:
• Stonington swept a quad-meet, beating Putnam, New London and Killingly by scores of 15-50. Stonington (4-1, 2-0 ECC Div. II) took the top 10 spots, with Maddie Hamm winning in 22:30. The top five also included Lily Anderson (22:39), Lindsey Orr (22:44), Caroline Morehouse (23:01) and Mary Gray (23:16).
• Stonington picked up three wins beating New London 24-35, Putnam 15-50 and Killingly 19-40 in an ECC Division II meet. New London beat Killingly 28-29 and Putnam 15-50 in an ECC Division IV meet. Stonington freshman Nathan Gonzalez won the race in a time of 17:52. New London (3-2, 2-0) took second with Rashawn Wright (18:14) and third with John Mateo (18:19). Andrew Connelly of Stonington (4-2, 1-1) was fourth in 19:05.
• NFA earned wins over St. Bernard (15-50) and Montville (20-43) by taking eight of the top 10 spots and Montville beat St. Bernard 24-31 in an ECC Division III meet. Rishi Iyer of Montville (1-1, 1-0) won the race with a time of 18:10. He was followed by Aidan Brown (18:23), Digby Ludlow (18:23), Dylan McGuire (18:40) and Aidan Gallagher (18:46) of NFA (4-0). Sam Davis was the top finisher for St. Bernard (2-2, 0-1), coming in 10th in 19:13.
• Fitch won twice, beating Lyman Memorial 21-34 and Windham 15-50. Ryan Poe of Fitch (3-1) won the race in a time of 17:58 and his twin brother Ian Poe was second at 18:00.
• Bacon Academy beat Ledyard 20-35 in an ECC Division II meet. Bacon also beat Wheeler 17-45 and Ledyard beat Wheeler 18-33. Bacon took the top four spots, with Andrew Janus winning the race in a time of 17:22. Simon Reichert of Ledyard (3-1, 1-1) was fifth in 18:42 and Michael Carroll was the top finisher for Wheeler (0-4), coming in eighth (19:11).
Stories that may interest you
Hannah Smith pitched a one-hitter with 12 strikeouts as Norwich Tech beat Wolcott Tech 3-2 in a Connecticut Technical Conference softball tournament quarterfinal on Monday.
Allyson Lewis was seeded second in the long jump at Monday's Eastern Connecticut Conference track and field championships.
A flashback to indoor track season came about an hour before Monday's ECC outdoor track championship when Norwich Free Academy boys' coach Tom Teixeira was still on the bus.
The following athletes have been selected 2019 Eastern Connecticut Conference award winners in boys' and girls' lacrosse, and girls' tennis: