H.S. baseball roundup: Egan, Saints edge Lyman Memorial 2-1
Montville — Kyle Egan pitched a one-hitter with seven strikeouts as St. Bernard edged Lyman Memorial 2-1 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II baseball game on Saturday.
It was the first varsity game played on St. Bernard's hill in 10 years.
Kolby Quinn doubled with two outs in the bottom of the fourth inning and scored the go-ahead run on Egan's RBI single. Ryan Proulx added an RBI.
Joshua Person pitched a four-hitter for the Bulldogs.
In other games:
• Connor Podeszwa allowed one hit and struck out 10 over five innings and went 2-for-3, including a double, with five RBIs and a run to lead Waterford past Bacon Academy 12-1 in an ECC Division I game. Dan Driscoll went 3-for-3, including a double, with two runs and an RBI for the Lancers and Ryan Salvador had two hits, two RBI and a run. Also, Will Rocchetti had two hits, including a double. Jack Novak had a single and an RBI for the Bobcats.
• Ramiro Zavala pitched a three-hitter with five strikeouts and one earned run as Fitch beat Montville 4-2 in an ECC Division I game. Ryan O'Connor went 3-for-3, including a double and a triple, with two runs and two RBI for Fitch. Alex DelCampo also singled and scored twice and Matt Robinson had two hits and an RBI. Chas Terni hit a solo home run for the Indians and Justin Saad walked and scored.
• Gavin O'Brien went 3-for-4, including a double, with two RBI and a run and Jace Lillie and Nate Licitra combined on a three-hitter as East Lyme overwhelmed Stonington in six innings, 12-0, in an ECC Division I game. Carter Chambers and Marcus Orsini each had two hits, two runs and an RBI for the Vikings and John Bureau had a double, two RBI and a run. Ben Sartori doubled with two runs and an RBI, Harley Perreno had a single, three RBI and a run and Aiden Ellis had two runs and an RBI. Also, Lillie allowed just two hits over three innings with six strikeouts and Licitra struck out five.
• Ethan Heinz had three hits, including two doubles, with four RBI and a run as Norwich Free Academy downed Woodstock Academy, 12-2, in six innings. Ty Pomroy had three hits, including two doubles, with two runs and an RBI for the Wildcats and Ryan Trudeau added three hits, including a triple, with two RBI and a run. Griffin Pontbriant allowed one hit over four innings with four strikeouts to pick up the win.
• Evan Gilgenbach allowed just one hit over 6.1 innings and struck out 15 while adding a double and two RBI as Griswold blanked Windham 6-0 in an ECC Division II game. Colin Mitchell and Evan Merchant both doubled for Griswold. The Whippets' Jack Valliere singled in the seventh to break up Gilgenbach's bid for a no-hitter.
• Old Lyme lost to Hale-Ray 1-0 in the Shoreline Conference despite Tait Sawden pitching a one-hitter with 12 strikeouts and no earned runs. Charlie Gable singled and scored on a two-out error in the top of the sixth for Hale-Ray.
Stories that may interest you
Seniors Matt Valakos and Ryan Whaley accounted for the majority of East Lyme's scoring during a 19-11 win in Saturday morning's Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I boys' lacrosse game.
New London High School graduate D.J. Exum has been named the new head boys' basketball coach at Ledyard.
Walker Baillargeon had eight hits as St. Bernard swept an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II baseball doubleheader from Windham on Saturday, winning the opener 19-3 and the second game 17-1.
Charlotte Cabral and McKynzi Dawson combined to pitch a no-hitter in the second game as Fitch capped a doubleheader sweep of NFA with a 12-0 win in Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I action on Saturday.