Log In


Reset Password
  • MENU
    Local News
    Thursday, June 13, 2024

    Food truck gets downtown NL reprieve

    New London - The Munchies Food Truck will be open for lunch on Fridays at the Parade plaza, after successfully appealing a decision that would have prevented the food truck from operating during the day in the downtown area.

    Early Tuesday morning, the City Council voted 6-1 to let the portable kitchen sell its lunchtime fare on Fridays from noon to 2 p.m.

    "We r back on State St 4 lunch Fridays 12-2pm!!! Thanks 2 councilman Mike Buscetto vote 4 mike for mayor, Vote for change! 1 city 1 team,'' the owners of the Munchies Food Truck tweeted on Tuesday.

    Councilor Michael Buscetto III took up the cause of Munchie's owner Aiman Saad and brought the matter to the council last month.

    The business was jeopardized when the city told Saad he was operating under a valid permit that was based on an outdated ordinance. The updated ordinance, which was amended in 2007 but never enforced until this year, restricts vendors from selling anything downtown in the so-called Central Business District.

    "I think there was a concerted effort to come to a middle ground,'' Mayor Martin Olsen said Tuesday. "We're not trying to discourage anyone from doing business."

    Deputy Mayor John Russell, who owns a restaurant in the city, voted against the motion.

    k.edgecomb@theday.com

    Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.