Support Local News.

Please support our work by subscribing today.

Norwich Memories: Water Street

Water Street, circa the early 1960s, looking east toward the Laurel Hill Bridge and Shetucket Street (today Chelsea Harbor Drive).

The buildings on the left are still standing. At the end of the tall building, aka “The Haymarket,” was the location of Campbell’s Sporting Goods, today location of La Stella Pizzeria.

The buildings to the right are gone, replaced by the courthouse. All the buildings on the right are gone, replaced by Thames Plaza and the Water Street parking garage.

The structure with the dome is the Auditorium Hotel. The marquee sign, below on street level, was the entrance to the Yale Theater.

Ken Keeley is the author of 12 pictorial books of Norwich history. His newest book is “FourScore & Fifty’ — New London 1850-1980. To purchase any of his books he can be reached on Facebook or via e-mail at kenekjr000@comcast.net.

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments

TRENDING

PODCASTS