Local college roundup: Avery Point sweeps past CCRI
Warwick, R.I. — Braydon Cooney went a combined 3-for-6 with five runs scored as UConn Avery Point swept a Region 21 baseball doubleheader with the Community College of Rhode Island, 11-9 and 7-6.
The Pointers (19-9-1, 3-1-0) broke a tie in the final inning of both games.
In the opener, Waterford's Alex Petchark (two runs scored), Cooney, Michahl DeRosa (three RBIs) and Mike Rocchetti (of Waterford, three RBIs) all had two hits. Another ex-Lancer, Collin Bakken, picked up the win in relief with two hitless innings and three strikeouts.
Michael Savino went 3-for-4 with two runs scored in the nightcap as seven players each had one hit for Avery Point. Bakken again earned the win with two innings of one-hit relief and three strikeouts.
In other games:
• No. 9 hitter Conor Moriarty drew a leadoff walk in the top of the ninth and came around to score on a passed ball to help UConn beat Cincinnati, 7-6. Wheeler graduate Troy Stefanski hit a solo home run and finished 2-for-5 for the Huskies (21-12-1, 6-5-0 American Athletic). Chris Winkel (three RBIs) and Michael Woodworth also had two hits, and Anthony Prato scored two runs. Jacob Wallace pitched the final two innings and did not give up a hit while striking out four to earn the win.
• Coast Guard split a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference doubleheader with Clark, winning the second game 4-3 and losing the opener 13-7. Brett Sullivan (4-4) pitched eight innings and got the win when Coast Guard scored three runs in the bottom of the eighth. Jake Behne was 3-for-4 and Jeremy Lhotka and Jon Pressley had two hits each for the Bears (9-18, 3-13) in Game 2.
• Jamie Navoni scored 11 goals and had two assists as Connecticut College beat Smith 17-11. Navoni also had a game-high six draws and Erin Martin caused five turnovers for Conn (4-10).
• Coast Guard freshman Marietta Davis had her second straight game with five points, scoring four goals with an assist, as the Bears beat Mt. Holyoke, 13-5. Classmate Mary Goins had a career-high four points (three goals, one assist), and Daria McKenna contributed a goal and three assists. Freshman Mary Budri had 13 saves.
• Kate McCormack and Francesca Pinard had four goals and an assist each as Mitchell beat Bay Path 9-4 in an New England Collegiate Conference game. Lindsey Fairbank and Rachel Barda had three goals each for Mitchell (3-7, 2-3).
• Ben Parens won 17 faceoffs and scored twice as Connecticut College beat Stockton 13-6. Maxx Trotsky scored three goals and AJ Vasquez had a goal and three assists for Conn (10-4).
• Montville's Kyle Marsh led all scorers with five goals in Mitchell's 10-9 loss to Becker in its season finale. Jesse McKeever added a goal and two assists and was 12-for-20 at the face-off spot.
• Coast Guard beat Wheaton 7-2 in a NEWMAC match as Mike Melampy and Jack Phillips each won their matches and teamed up to win at No. 3 doubles. Arthur Wicke, Kyle Fager, Chris Lansing and Tom Hackett won matches for the Bears (6-4, 3-2).
• Connecticut College junior Scott Mason registered the third best time in the country in Division III in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. Mason ran a 9:04.06 to finish sixth at Princeton's Larry Ellis Invitational.
• Connecticut College's 4x400 meter relay team finished first at the Trinity Invitational. Ivana Lamptey, Alicia Palmer, Leila Alfaro and Shannon Kennedy won with a time of 4:03.76. Conn's Julianna Donovan won the 3,000-meter steeplechase in 12:55.55 and teammate Kaitlin Thomas was third in the long jump at 15-2.75.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES