Local roundup: Ledyard girls surprise Waterford 41-35
Ledyard — Tallie Williams scored 12 points and grabbed 13 rebounds as Ledyard surprised Waterford 41-35 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II girls' basketball game on Tuesday night.
The Colonels (2-9, 1-4) avenged a 54-45 loss to the Lancers (7-5, 3-2) back on opening night (Dec. 18).
Tajeah Winston added 11 points and six rebounds for Ledyard and Monet Augmon finished with nine points.
Gaby Kramer scored 14 points to lead Waterford while Mia Chiappone added nine.
In other games:
• Charlotte Carney scored 12 points and Rita Sefransky added 10 in Fitch's 38-22 win over Montville. The Falcons improved to 9-4. Maya Hillman had 12 points, 14 rebounds and five blocks while Alexis DeLucia added six steals and five assists for the Indians (6-5).
• Amber Caldwell had 15 points and 12 rebounds as St. Bernard downed Ellis Tech 50-24. Sophia Boras had 15 points and six steals for the Saints (6-4). Kalista Lovely scored 12 for Ellis.
• Sam Gray had 20 points and four rebounds as Old Lyme beat North Branford 53-47 in the Shoreline Conference. Emily DeRoehn had 12 points and five rebounds for Old Lyme (6-3) and Ellie Zrenda added 12 rebounds.
• Unbeaten Bacon Academy broke open a close game in the third quarter on the way to a 58-29 victory over Stonington in an ECC Division II game. The Bobcats, who were led by Valerie Luizzi (15 points) and Marissa Nudd (14), held a 25-16 halftime lead before outscoring the Bears 25-5 in the third. Sophia Bell had nine points and nine rebounds for Stonington (4-7, 1-5), which has lost six straight.
• Bernard Hawkins scored career-high 34 points as Montville remained unbeaten with an 89-74 non-conference road win over Windham Tech. Antonio Brown added 24 points for the Indians (9-0) and Ethan McKinney finished with 13.
• Adriel Atad had in 16 points, 10 assists and six steals in undefeated Fitch's 72-46 win over Windham. Ajia Brown added 22 points and 11 rebounds for the Falcons (10-0).
• Mason Jackson had 16 points as unbeaten Norwich Free Academy topped Wethersfield 71-48. Xavier Marquez scored 13 and Jared Martin 12 for the Wildcats (10-0), ranked sixth in the GameDayCT/New Haven Register media poll.
• Ian Spracklin scored 25 points and Bowen Baker had a double-double to highlight Wheeler's 52-38 non-conference win over Ellis Tech. Baker finished with 10 points and 11 rebounds for the Lions (5-5).
• Aedan Using had 36 points, 14 rebounds and 10 blocks in Old Lyme’s 70-51 win over North Branford in the Shoreline Conference. Ray Doll had 10 points and Jared Ritchie had five blocks and four steals for Old Lyme (8-1). Mike Sitro scored 26 for the Thunderbirds (4-5).
• All five starters scored in double figures as St. Bernard remained unbeaten in ECC Division III play with a 67-53 victory over Griswold on Monday night. Tyson Wheeler led the way with 16 points for the Saints (5-5, 3-0), who led 39-19 at halftime, while Nathaniel Avery added 15, Frank Pacheco 13, Walker Baillargeon 12 and Cedrick Similien 11.
• Eric Wang won the 200-yard individual medley (2:13.69) and teamed with Aden Lu, Hawken Hammen, and Powall Wang to win the 200 medley relay (1:52.74) in East Lyme's 88-73 win over the Windham co-op in an ECC meet. Ryan Huang (200 freestyle, 1:56.77), David Day (50 freestyle, 25.77), Ryan McLaughlin (diving, 163.85 points), Kyle Chen (100 butterfly, 1:07.53), Robert Hahn (100 freestyle, 52.37) and Jack Lombardo (500 freestyle, 5:32.37) all won events for the Vikings (6-0-1, 4-0-1).
• Jason Blain, Bryce Dorunda, Sebastian Zegarra and Quinlin Haglund won individual events as Waterford defeated NFA 111-69 in the ECC. Blain won the diving competition with 190.80 points for the Lancers (3-2, 3-2) while Dorunda captured the 100-meter freestyle (1:08.50), Zegarra the 400 free (5:27.15) and Haglund the 100 backstroke (1:14.28). Jeffrey Ng (200 IM, 2:28.19) and Alex Ji (50 free, 27.05) were individual winners for the Wildcats (1-4, 1-4). St. Bernard also competed with Ian Gonzalez capturing the 200 free (2:16.87) and 100 breaststroke (1:22.70).
Boys’ indoor track and field
• Stonington’s Chase Flynn won the 600 (1:26.67) at the SCC Coaches Invitational. The Bears’ Ryan Gruczka was third in the 1,600 (4:37.32).
• Le'Sandra Turner (15 points, eight rebounds, six assists and three steals) led four Mitchell College players in double figures as it trounced Lesley 74-33 in the New England Collegiate Conference. Amina Wiley had 10 points and eight rebounds, Sam McKenna had 10 points and five rebounds, and Kelsey Hernandez scored 12 for the Mariners (8-8, 4-2).
• Former UConn All-American Katie Lou Samuelson has been added to the U.S. National Team roster that will play an exhibition against the Huskies on Monday at the XL Center in a nationally-televised game (ESPN2) at 7 p.m. Samuelson joins ex-UConn stars Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Breanna Stewart and Diana Taurasi on the Team USA roster.
Stories that may interest you
Noah Baldez had 22 points and Justin Kane scored 21 as the Coast Guard men's basketball team closed out its regular season with a 102-99 win over Emerson on Saturday, earning the Bears a spot in the NEWMAC tournament and a rematch with Emerson.