Log In


Reset Password
  • MENU
    Police-Fire Reports
    Sunday, March 03, 2024

    Resident displaced after Salem fire

    Salem ― One resident was displaced and taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation after a fire Wednesday afternoon in a unit at a condominium complex at 103 Horsepond Road.

    Salem Fire Chief Eugene Maiorano said the resident was outside the apartment by the time firefighters arrived. They knocked down the fire within 20 minutes.

    The resident was taken by Oakdale ambulance to Lawrence + Memorial Hospital in New London due to inhalation of smoke and soot from the fire, Maiorano said.

    Maiorano said it was a stove fire, and the walls were singed. He said the unit is uninhabitable due to the smoke damage. The emergency call came in at 2:48 p.m., he said.

    The Salem Volunteer Fire Company and Gardner Lake Volunteer Fire Company responded, along with the Chesterfield, Yantic, Oakdale, Montville, and Colchester fire departments and Mohegan Tribal FAST Team, he said.

    Maiorano said the state fire marshal is investigating.

    k.drelich@theday.com

    Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.