Log In

Reset Password
  • MENU
    Police-Fire Reports
    Monday, May 20, 2024

    Norwich manhunt ends with suspect dead

    Brandon Uzialko is seen in this compilation of undated photos. (Norwich police)

    Norwich — The suspect who prompted a massive manhunt, shutting down much of Greeneville on Tuesday night as armed officers swarmed the area, is dead, Lt. Jonathan Ley of Norwich police confirmed shortly before midnight.

    He did not provide details on how Brandon Uzialko, 25, died.

    "The Greeneville neighborhood is safe. People can leave their homes and return to their homes," Ley said. "The suspect is deceased and there is no continued threat to the community."

    Ley warned residents there would be a large police presence in the area while city officers conducted an investigation with state police.

    The incident started about 6:30 p.m., with information provided to police by a resident in the area. Uzialko, who was armed and wanted in connection with a home invasion and attempted murder incident Saturday night, led police on a foot chase Tuesday evening. Shots were exchanged between Uzialko and police at the start of the chase, prompting police to urge residents to “shelter in place,” police Chief Patrick Daley said. Residents were urged to call 911 to report any suspicious activity, including a person running.

    No officers were injured, Daley said.

    In a Wednesday morning email, state police said they had taken up the investigation. According to them, officers located Uzialko near 13th and  Prospect streets hours after the exchange of gunfire. He was pronounced deceased at the scene.

    City and state police had Boswell Avenue blocked off from 13th through 11th streets Wednesday morning.

    Patricia Bapst, a woman who lives on 13th Street, said officers were canvassing yards, including hers, in search of anything Uzialko may have dropped.

    Several officers on foot continued walking through yards and knocking on doors Wednesday morning.

    Bapst didn't witness the shooting or pursuit because she wasn't home when it happened. She said she wasn't allowed to return to her house until about 3 a.m., when an officer escorted her there.

    State police, who also didn't say how Uzialko died, said the state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner is going to conduct a post-mortem examination to determine that. State police did say one Norwich officer was involved in the incident. Police are withholding that officer's name.

    Uzialko had been wanted on a warrant for charges of attempted murder, home invasion, first-degree assault and risk of injury to a minor in the home invasion incident, which occurred at 10:21 p.m. Saturday. Police on Wednesday confirmed 31-year-old Carlos Gayle was the victim of the stabbing. Police at the time described his injuries as life-threatening.

    On Wednesday, police said Gayle's vital signs were stable and he was conscious and alert. He remains in an intensive care unit at an unspecified hospital.

    During the chase, large areas of Greeneville were blocked off, including Central Avenue, Prospect Street and Boswell Avenue in the area of 10th Street, with cruisers and yellow tape blocking off the roads. Police were seen carrying rifles while officers also were stopping cars and questioning drivers. Officers were directing northbound traffic in the area toward North Main Street, though the southbound lane was closed.

    Daley had described the situation as “very active and very serious.” 

    Norwich police had called for mutual aid to respond to the incident and other calls for service in the city, Ley said. State police, Groton Town and City and Ledyard all responded.

    The investigation is ongoing.


    Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.