Woman injured in trash compactor accident in New London
New London — A woman sustained potentially life-threatening injuries Wednesday when a trash compactor was activated with her inside.
Police and emergency medical personnel were called to the NSA Supermarket at 332 S. Frontage Road about 3:15 p.m. to find the woman inside a compactor at the rear of the grocery store.
The woman apparently had climbed into the unit, which has a chute leading from inside the store into a commercial-sized garbage container outside the store. Police said a store employee had deposited cardboard into the chute and turned the compactor on, then he heard screaming from inside.
Store employees had been looking for the woman, who they suspected of having stolen items that included beer from the store, police said. They had lost track of her.
New London Fire Battalion Chief Keith Nichols said two store employees unsuccessfully attempted to pull the woman out of the compactor. A firefighter and a paramedic from Lawrence + Memorial Hospital climbed inside and jointly freed the woman, who was conscious at the time.
She was taken to L+M Hospital for treatment. Nichols said the extent of her injuries was unclear at the time of transport.
As of 7 p.m. Wednesday, New London police had not responded to requests detailing the extent of the woman's injuries, her identity or any charges she may be facing, stating that the investigation remains active.
Stories that may interest you
An East Lyme engineer who was charged with disorderly conduct after police said he engaged in threatening behavior at Town Hall was granted entry Tuesday into a diversionary program that enables him to clear his record of the charge.
New London Mayor Michael Passero and Finance Director David McBride are members of a newly-formed commission to explore ways of providing property tax relief statewide.
Jason Catala was charged additionally with witness tampering Tuesday when he appeared in New London Superior Court on identity theft charges and applied for a diversionary program.
The Norwich Fire Department and Norwich Public Utilities blocked off North Main Street and evacuated several homes and businesses after discovering a “significant” gas leak in a line beneath the street Monday afternoon.