Local roundup: Westfield hands CGA women first soccer defeat
Madison, N.J. – Coast Guard Academy suffered its first loss of the season, losing 1-0 to Westfield State in the Drew Fall Festival women’s soccer tournament on Sunday.
Morgan Berthiaume’s goal just 4 minute, 15 seconds into the match was the difference for the Owls (15-4), who held a 15-4 edge in shots.
Goalie Emily Scharnitzky made ine saves for the Bears (3-1).
In other matches:
• UConn erupted for all of its goals in the second half to defeat Central Connecticut 4-0 in New Britain. Jada Konte had a goal and an assist for the Huskies (3-2-1) while Jaydah Bedoya, Peyton Pettiford-Rowan and Abbey Janes each scored once. CCSU is 2-5.
• Riddhi Venkatesh had one goal and two three as East Lyme rolled to a 5-2 non-conference win over Old Lyme on Saturday night. Abbie Belleville added two goals and an assist for the Vikings (2-0) while Lily Antonio also scored a goal and Jessica Knapp had one assist.
• Magda Carpenter had two goals and one assist during Lyman Memorial’s 4-0 non-conference win over Windham Tech on Saturday night. Avery Volle and Becca Ziegler each added a goal for the Bulldogs (2-0) while Leah Comeroski, Emily McKelvey and Maddie Archer had one assist apiece and goalie Phoebe Carpenter made two saves.
• Dre’Ana Singleton scored a pair of goals as Fitch beat Westerly 3-1 in the Josh Piver tournament on Saturday. Hannah Hurley had a goal, Grace Jenkins made 16 saves and Grace Cosmopoulos and Emma Forde had assist for Fitch (1-1). Singleton’s second goal came in the final minute to seal the win.
• Griswold’s Tyler Silva scored an unassisted goal as the Wolverines beat Montville 1-0 on Saturday. Dylan Freyer made eight saves for Griswold (2-0) and Mason Snurkowski stopped two shots for Montville (0-1-1).
Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.