Local roundup: CIAC moves New London, Lyman boys’ games to Wednesday
The CIAC has postponed Tuesday’s six games in the boys’ basketball tournament to Wednesday, due to a forecasted storm.
That includes the Division III quarterfinal between New London and Bloomfield and the Division V quarterfinal between Lyman Memorial and Shepaug Valley.
Both games are now scheduled for Wednesday at 7 p.m. the New London game will be played at New Haven’s Floyd Little Athletic Center and Lyman’s game is at Maloney High in Meriden.
• New London’s Darielys Arnold competed at the Nike Nationals in New York over the weekend. She won her heat in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.97 and advanced to the semifinals. She was also 12th in the long jump with a jump of 17-feet, 6-inches.
• Connecticut College lost to Mary-Hardin Baylor 6-3 as it opened its trip to Florida. Jules Taylor-Kerman and Krishh Tipnis won their matches for the Camels (1-3) as did the No. 3 doubles team of Walker Mulligan and James Serhant III.
Women’s water polo
• Connecticut College opened its three-game West Coast swing with a 7-6 win in Los Angeles over Occidental College. Gigi Sandull scored with 40 seconds remaining to break a 6-6 tie. Maria Sell had a goal and two assists and Ainsley Cornwall had a goal and an assist for the Camels (2-1).
• The time for UConn’s opening game in the NCAA tournament has been announced. The Huskies will host Vermont on Saturday at 3 p.m. The game between Alabama and Baylor is scheduled to follow at Gampel Pavilion at 5:30 p.m.
• UConn beat Hawaii 18-10 on Sunday night in front of a crowd of 3,361 in Honolulu. The Huskies (8-4) drew 16 walks in the game, including four by Ben Huber, and had 15 hits.
Bryan Padilla was 3-for-4 with a double, three-run homer and four runs scored and Dominic Freeberger was 4-fo-6 and scored three times for UConn. Luke Broadhurst drove in four runs and Jake Studley, Ryan Hyde and Padilla had three RBI each.
Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.