Local roundup: CIAC moves New London, Lyman boys’ games to Wednesday
The CIAC has postponed Tuesday’s six games in the boys’ basketball tournament to Wednesday, due to a forecasted storm.
That includes the Division III quarterfinal between New London and Bloomfield and the Division V quarterfinal between Lyman Memorial and Shepaug Valley.
Both games are now scheduled for Wednesday at 7 p.m. the New London game will be played at New Haven’s Floyd Little Athletic Center and Lyman’s game is at Maloney High in Meriden.
• New London’s Darielys Arnold competed at the Nike Nationals in New York over the weekend. She won her heat in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.97 and advanced to the semifinals. She was also 12th in the long jump with a jump of 17-feet, 6-inches.
• Connecticut College lost to Mary-Hardin Baylor 6-3 as it opened its trip to Florida. Jules Taylor-Kerman and Krishh Tipnis won their matches for the Camels (1-3) as did the No. 3 doubles team of Walker Mulligan and James Serhant III.
Women’s water polo
• Connecticut College opened its three-game West Coast swing with a 7-6 win in Los Angeles over Occidental College. Gigi Sandull scored with 40 seconds remaining to break a 6-6 tie. Maria Sell had a goal and two assists and Ainsley Cornwall had a goal and an assist for the Camels (2-1).
• The time for UConn’s opening game in the NCAA tournament has been announced. The Huskies will host Vermont on Saturday at 3 p.m. The game between Alabama and Baylor is scheduled to follow at Gampel Pavilion at 5:30 p.m.
• UConn beat Hawaii 18-10 on Sunday night in front of a crowd of 3,361 in Honolulu. The Huskies (8-4) drew 16 walks in the game, including four by Ben Huber, and had 15 hits.
Bryan Padilla was 3-for-4 with a double, three-run homer and four runs scored and Dominic Freeberger was 4-fo-6 and scored three times for UConn. Luke Broadhurst drove in four runs and Jake Studley, Ryan Hyde and Padilla had three RBI each.