Local roundup: Sea Unicorns win for second straight night
Pittsfield, Mass. — The Norwich Sea Unicorns won for the second straight night with a 5-4 victory over the Pittsfield Suns in a Futures College Baseball League game on Thursday night.
A.J. Rooks (Albertus Magnus) pitched a 1-2-3 ninth with one strikeout to earn the save after Pittsfield (15-20) had pulled to within a run in the bottom of the eighth.
Johnny Knox (Nichols) went 3-for-5 and drove in a run for the Sea Unicorns (22-14) while D.J. Perron (Rhode Island) had two hits and two RBI, Jackson Ferrigno (North Alabama) had two hits and one RBI and Brennan Hyde (Nichols) had a pair of hits.
On Wednesday night, Clark Gilmore (Dartmouth) improved to 3-0 and lowered his earned run average to 0.69 by pitching five shutout innings during the Sea Unicorns’ 12-0, 7-inning road victory over the New Britain Bees.
Gilmore allowed only two hits and struck out five for the Sea Unicorns (21-14), while Dean Ferrara (Fairfield) raised his average to .422 by gonig 4-for-5 with three runs scored an an RBI. Joey DeMucci (Monmouth) added a single, double and three RBI for Norwich while Knox had a single, double, two runs and one RBI.
Zone 6 Legion baseball
• Anthony Jessuck pitched a one-hitter and struck out two as Niantic defeated Norwich 3-0 in an American Legion Zone 6 game. Cam McGugan had a pair of hits for Niantic while Derek Macy had the lone hit for Norwich, which lost despite a solid pitching performance by Randy Jimenez, who went the distance with no walks and six strikeouts.
• Matthew Schark (SIU Carbondale) hit a three-run homer during a four-run fifth inning that vaulted the Newport Gulls to a 6-1 win over the Mystics Schooners on Wednesday night in the New England Collegiate Baseball League. The Gulls are 20-4. Drew Kron (UConn) doubled home Caleb Shpur (Endicott) in the top of the fifth to drive in the only run for Mystic (12-10).
State Section 3 LL softball (10-12)
• District 10 champion Stonington was beaten by District 7 champion Rocky Hill 6-5 in its opening game of the Connecticut Section 3 Little League (10-12) softball tournament in Killingworth. Stonington will play District 9 champion Madison on Friday at 6 p.m. and must win to have a chance at advancing to the Section 3 final on Monday night.
District 10 LL baseball (10-12)
• East Lyme defeated Groton 10-0 in 4 innings on Wednesday night on the final night of pool play. Rocco Russo, Greyson Biggs and Colton Glover combined to pitch a no-hitter and Kyle Cellemme had three hits for East Lyme.
East Lyme joins Montville, Stonington and Waterford in the four-team double-elimination phase of the tournament beginning Saturday at East Lyme. Waterford will play Montville at 2:30 p.m. and East Lyme faces Stonington at 5 p.m. The championship round is scheduled to begin on Tuesday at 7 p.m.
State Section 2 50/70 baseball
• Ledyard lost its first game in the Connecticut Section 2 50/70 tournament on Wednesday, dropping a 16-3 decision to Mansfield/Ashford/Coventry. Ledyard will play Madison on Friday at 6 p.m. at Coventry and must win to have a chance at advancing to the Section 2 final on Saturday at 5 p.m., also at Coventry.
Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.