Local college roundup: Ghirardi sparks Mitchell men to soccer victory of Emmanuel
New London — East Lyme’s Nick Ghirardi scored for the second straight game as Mitchell College beat Emmanuel 2-1 in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference men’s soccer game on Saturday.
Ghirardi converted a penalty kick at 27:29.
The Mariners (2-1-2, 2-1-1) made it 2-0 when Gianmarco Delacruz scored at 33:42 off an assists from New London’s Flavio Alvarado.
Goalie Dylan Kinsella made four saves for the win.
• Coast Guard Academy won its seventh straight match, sweeping Johnson & Wales 25-10, 25-17, 25-11. Allie Wildsmith led the Bears (10-1) with eight kills, Kaela France had 13 digs and Maeve Duffin had 24 assists.
• Connecticut College fell to Bates College 3-2 in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. Bates won 25-17, 13-25, 25-23, 21-25, 15-9. Emma Wheeler led the Camels (3-4, 0-2) with 13 kills and five blocks, Riley Lord had 10 kills and three blocks, Rae Wartelle had nine kills, Katherine Randall had eight kills and a team-high 23 digs and Natasha Shrivastava had 36 assists, 20 digs, four kills and two aces.
• Mitchell opened GNAC play with a pair of losses, falling to Dean 3-2 and host Rivier 3-1. Bliss Brown had 41 digs, Allison Blum had 25 kills and Julia Lent had 29 digs on the day for the Mariners (2-6). Sarah Aviles of Griswold had 11 kills against Rivier.
• Rivier scored twice in the first 11 minutes and went on to beat Mitchell 2--0 in a GNAC game. Gemma Landry made seven saves for the Mariners (2-3-1, 0-3-1), who were outshot 18-5.
• Mitchell competed in the Blazer Classic at Elms College, with the women finishing second (6K) and the men’s team coming in fourth (8K). Inonda Peterson led the women’s team with a seventh-place finish (32:02) and Katelyn Lipsky was 14th (38:45). Jonathan Hecker led the Mariners with a third-place finish in the men’s race (32:11), Zion Huntley was 15th (41:36) and Tim O'Hayre was 17th (42:55).
Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.