Local college notes
Tracking the Bears
• Coast Guard Academy freshman running back Harrison Hensley was selected as the New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Week after rushing for a season-high 164 yards on 18 carries and scoring two touchdowns in a 49-42 win over Nichols on Saturday. He also had three catches for 45 yards.
Around the region
• Junior defender Emily DeRoehn (Old Lyme), the 2022 Great Northeast Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year and first team GNAC selection, has contributed on both ends of the field for the Johnson & Wales women’s soccer team. A starter, she has scored two goals and also been part of a stellar defense that’s allowed just four goals in the first seven games.
• Sophomore midfielder Sam Blumberger (Bacon Academy) is the leading scorer for the Bloomsburg (Pa.) University men’s soccer team. He has three goals, including the game winner and his first collegiate goal in a 1-0 decision against Seton Hill and the game-tying goal in a 2-2 draw with Findlay. Sophomore teammate Micah Diggs (Fitch) has appeared in two games.
• Graduate student Jamison Magowan (Stonington), a forward, is a member of the Assumption University men’s soccer program. Junior midfielder Delaney Farinha (Norwich Free Academy), a transfer from Franklin Pierce, assisted on the women’s soccer team’s only goal in a 1-1 tie with D’Youville on Sept. 3.
• UMass Dartmouth’s Maddie Gonzalez (Stonington) was named the Little East Conference Rookie of the Week in women’s tennis for the second time. She went a combined 4-0 at No. 2 singles and No. 2 doubles in two team wins last week.
• Sophomore Meredith Healy (East Lyme) is off to a career-best start for the Springfield College women’s soccer team. She registered the first three assists of her career in a 6-1 win over Salve Regina on Sunday. Through six games as a starting forward, she has a career high seven points on two goals and three assists.
Her sister Sarah has appeared in three games for the Springfield field hockey team.
• Sophomore Hannah Daniewicz (NFA) scored her team-best second goal of the season for the Salve Regina women’s soccer team in a 2-2 tie with Gordon College on Wednesday.
• Nikki Hahn (East Lyme), a member of the Savannah College of Art and Design swimming team, was selected as an NAIA All-American in the 100 and 200 breaststroke for the 2022-23 season.
• Sophomore Savannah Soleau (East Lyme) is a middle blocker for the Keene State volleyball team.
Also at Keene, Morgan Prates (Bacon Academy), a sophomore defender, and freshman midfielder Bryn Dickinson (Waterford) are starters from the women’s soccer team. Dickinson had her first career assist in a 4-0 win at New England College on Sept. 3.
• Sophomore Callie Nanos (Lyman Memorial) and freshman Leah Brown (Bacon Academy) have helped the Rivier College volleyball team post a 4-2 start.
• At Plymouth State, senior Nora Ryan (Fitch) chipped in eight kills and two blocks in a 3-0 shutout of Wheaton College on Saturday. Freshman Annalyn Cahill (Fitch) also has contributed to the team’s success.
• At Rhode Island College, sophomore Karen Johnson-Hoffman (Fitch) set up the game winning goal with a corner kick for the women’s soccer team in a 1-0 win over Curry College on Thursday. Freshman Marina Colonis (Waterford) has 18 kills so far this season for the women’s volleyball team.
• Finn Power (East Lyme), a senior, and sophomore Ryan Orr (Stonington) are competing for the Bentley men’s cross country team. Freshman Alexis Fenton (Old Lyme) has appeared in three games for the women’s soccer team.
• Freshman Colleen Corman (Waterford) helped the Babson women’s cross country team place sixth at the Smith College Invitational on Saturday. She completed the 5K race in 24 minutes, 42 seconds.
• Goalie Caitlin Daley (NFA) made six saves in the University of New Haven women’s soccer team’s 2-1 win over American International College on Saturday.
• At Buffalo State, Lily Massung (East Lyme), a sophomore defender, has appeared in one game for the women’s soccer team.
• Junior Kelsi Ursini (Fitch) scored her second goal of the season in the University of Saint Joseph’s 3-0 win over Simmons University on Saturday.
• Freshman Hannah Bergeron (East Lyme) was the top finisher for Simmons University women’s cross country team earlier this month at the Suffolk Short Course 3K. She posted a time of 15 minutes, 03.1 seconds.
Mariners riding a wave
• Junior Brooke Taylor (Montville), senior Sarah Aviles (Griswold) and sophomore Ali Ortiz (Marine Science Magnet) are playing for the Mitchell College women’s volleyball team this season. In Saturday’s 3-1 loss to Rivier College, Aviles had 11 kills to raise her season total to 65 overall, third best on the team
• Senior Nick Ghirardi (East Lyme) has scored a goal in two straight games for the men’s soccer team to increase his season total to a team-best three. The Mariners carry a 2-1-2 overall record and 2-1-1 GNAC mark into this week’s action.
Mitchell’s next opponent, the University of Saint Joseph, has two former Mariners on the roster in Jeremy Gibbs (Waterford) and Nolan Clack. The two teams meet at 4 p.m. Tuesday in New London.
Gianmarco Delacruz was named GNAC Rookie of the Week in men’s soccer after scoring the winning goal in a 2-1 victory over Emmanuel last week.
• The Connecticut College men’s soccer team carries an unbeaten overall record (2-0-2) into this week’s action. The Camels are relying on a stingy defense that has allowed just one goal. Junior Peter Silvester has played all but 32 minutes this season in goal, posting a 0.27 goals against average.
The Camels, 0-0-2 in the New England Small College Athletic Conference, will be tested this week with road games at Trinity on Wednesday and at Babson on Saturday.
• Please send submissions for college notes to email@example.com
Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.